Fated meeting

"We were four siblings. Many times, I wonder what happened to them, if they're out there. We played all day. We were biting, rolling, chasing and sleeping together," the lynx began.

"I'd have loved to see it. You sure were quite cute," the elf intervened.

"We certainly were. As you can see, I still am," the feline laughed, and then recovered a nostalgic tone.

"When we grew up, like all young people, we wanted to explore the world on our own. And despite the fact that our parents wanted to keep us with them some more time, they let us go, because it's our nature.

"I still remember the first time wandering alone through the jungle. I was young and inexperienced, I was looking absentmindedly at the vegetation, at some plants and insects I had never seen in my parents' territory.

"That distraction almost cost me my life. A snake bit me, and although I reacted and killed it, I stayed several days between life and death. The good news was that I got some resistance to poison."

Goldmi was listening gawking. Perhaps, her sister wasn't the best storyteller in the world, but her feelings were palpable through their bond, so they were mixing with the words, and making the story more vivid and real.

"Over time, I learned from my mistakes, got stronger, more experienced, and more arrogant. So much so, that I entered a male's territory without giving any thought. Until he appeared in front of me, after I had just hunted a horned rabbit. 'I like you. I'll mate with you.'

"I hated him as soon as I heard him. I had been born free, and I couldn't admit that anyone decided for me. I growled at him, my hair stood up, but that didn't scare him, just the opposite. 'Oh, you resist, that'll make it more interesting. It'll be fun subduing you,' he said."

Goldmi felt rage at the time, but said nothing, just hugged her sister tighter.

"It was soon clear that he was stronger than me. He had more experience and his level was higher. He had inflicted me several injuries, painful but not serious. He wanted to subdue me, not kill me. It was obvious that I couldn't beat him, which not only hurt my pride. I also panicked, felt impotence.

"I decided to run away. I thought that, if I escaped from his territory, he wouldn't pursue me. But he knew the area better than I did. When I was near the limit, he would appear in front of me, taunting me, forcing me to change direction.

Little by little, I was getting tired. I stopped almost breathless, and he appeared in front of me again. 'Be mine, you can't escape.'"

The elf trembled. Although it was different, it reminded her of her own experience, of being dominated, trapped.

"I was on the verge of giving up, of thinking that, perhaps, it wouldn't be so bad. I was tired and weak. But I have always been very proud. When he approached me, convinced to have me subdued, I launched a sneak attack and bit him on the leg.

"That angered him. He attacked me, but this time without holding back. He wanted to kill me. I realized that he was much more arrogant than I could have imagined, much more full of himself than I had thought possible. He was saying things like: 'You're stupid. You've had the best opportunity of your life, and you have missed it.' 'You don't deserve to have my children.' 'You dare turn against your master. You have to die.'"

Despite the differences, it reminded Goldmi of her ex, especially for his attitude of wanting to dominate her. And although she was afraid, her anger was stronger, or the helplessness at not being able to do anything for her sister from the past.

"I defended myself as best I could, but my injuries were getting more serious, and I had barely managed to do more damage than that bite. I fell back to the river. I hoped he wouldn't dare follow me there. And he didn't, but I couldn't overcome the current either. I don't even know if I could have done it in my peak condition.

"While trying not to drown, I sometimes saw his silhouette on the shore, so he was following me. He may have been making fun of me, but I couldn't hear him. I don't know how long the water dragged me. I had almost given up when I heard the sound of a waterfall, the sound of my impending death. I hardly had the strength left to stick my head out and try to breathe.

"I collided with something as I was falling, and passed out. The truth is, I don't know how I was saved. When I woke up on the shore, several meters from the waterfall, I couldn't believe it. I didn't understand how I was alive. Well, barely, I couldn't even stand up. My whole body ached, and I think I had several broken bones. And, what was worse, I could see the shadow of that lynx on the other shore, perhaps looking for my body."

The elf swallowed hard, while listening carefully.

"He couldn't see me. I was half buried in mud and leaves, but I had no doubt that he would end up finding me. It was then that I heard a voice, which seemed to come through the water. 'Visitors are coming. Some need companions during their stay. You could be one of them. If you accept'

"It was something we all knew. Perhaps, I wouldn't have accepted in other circumstances, despite being an honor to be chosen, but at that moment it was my only chance. I accepted. And the water swallowed me

"When I woke up again, I was cured. Many shadows were moving, choosing others like me, and leaving with them. But they didn't even look at me, like I wasn't useful, like I was inferior. I admit that it hurt my pride.

"Until one day that I felt something. And then I saw a shadow lighter than the others, which was staring at me, even beautiful blue eyes were visible. I don't know why you chose me, but, from the beginning, I felt a strong bond with you. I knew that it was more powerful than it should be, more intimate, eternal. I knew that I had found the sister I didn't know I had."

"It's evident why I chose you. Because there was no other I could choose. As soon as I saw you, I felt something, even though I didn't know what it was then. I thought I had imagined it, but now I know I hadn't. And I also needed someone to eat my food!"

They both laughed, feeling closer still than they ever had before. The two of them had confessed their deepest feelings. They had trusted each other more than ever, had strengthened their bond, and had shared the weight that had been squeezing their hearts, thus making it lighter.