Sapphire Tree

When she opened her eyes, she found herself in a strange place, a place she didn't recognize. However, it was a peaceful place, where she could strongly feel her bond with nature. And it wasn't the only bond she felt.

"Sister!" exclaimed a voice in her mind.

A huge head suddenly appeared. It rose above the bed the elf was lying on, and leaned back on her chest. The feline stared at her with yellow eyes that some would find fearsome, but which were familiar to her. They filled her with security and affection.

She put her hand on that head, and caressed it gently, lovingly. She was enjoying the softness of the feline's fur, and even drawing a soft purr from her. The other hand was on a paw, which was extremely soft now that the claws were hidden, especially the pads.

"I'm sorry I worried you," she apologized.

"I'm glad you're okay," said the lynx, while rubbing her cheek on her sister's hand.

"Where are we?"

"Aunt Omiiiiiii!!" Pikshbxgro interrupted them and hugged the elf.

She returned the hug affectionately. It was evident that the spirit had also been concerned about her.

"Isn't it a bit unwise to leave that animal there? If its owner loses control, it could be dangerous," protested the voice of a young man. "Ouch!"

"I have a stupid apprentice. Do you ever listen? Can't you see that she isn't tamed, nor is she a servant?" A woman's voice reproached him.

"But what is she then?" asked the young one, while rubbing the aching area of his head.

"Maybe a friend. Maybe even a sister. Their bond is strong, but not one of servitude. You should be able to notice it, to see it by her attitude," the woman sighed resignedly.

"Really!? Isn't that only possible at high levels? Ouch!!"

"Though it's normal to see it at high levels, it doesn't mean that only they can do it. Sigh. I don't know what I'm going to do with you..." she sighed.

"Come on, Dalha, anyone... Ouch!"

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call me like that?"

"I... I'm sorry, master Dalhadri."

Their conversation was heard from within. So, when they crossed the curtain that led into the room, three pairs of eyes were staring at them.

"Oh! You've awakened. Welcome to Sapphire Tree. I'm Dalhadri, the village healer. He's my apprentice, Nadelhon," greeted the woman, an elf over three hundred years old, whose appearance was similar to a human in her thirties.

"I'm Goldmi. I think you already know my sister," she introduced herself, and looked at the lynx. "You've saved me. I don't know how to thank you."

"No, no, quite the opposite. We're the ones who have to thank you for saving little Lidhana. She has told us everything. If it wasn't for that naughty girl, you wouldn't have been hurt. Our most sincere apologies," the woman responded humbly, with a bow.

"I was just passing by. I did what anyone would've done. How's the girl?" the archer downplayed it, somewhat uncomfortable at being treated with such consideration.

"Physically she's fine, she only had a few bruises, but she has been punished for running away. Although she's more than sorry. She has been crying and asking for forgiveness for what happened to you. She and her brother always cause problems, but they have a good heart," explained the healer, looking sideways at her apprentice.

He hadn't opened his mouth. The boy had only nodded as he entered, as he felt intimidated in the presence of the feline. However, now he was completely embarrassed, and was staring with a red face and pouting at his teacher. It didn't take Goldmi long to guess that he was Lidhana's brother, so she was unable to suppress a smile.

"Poor little thing. She must've been very scared. Can I go see her?"

"Sure! She'll be glad to see you. Nadel will accompany you later. But first, I have to check that you're okay. And I'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind," Dalhadri asked.

"Yes, of course," agreed the archer, curious.

"First of all, do you know why there's a spirit in this room? He's been here since you arrived. It's quite strange."

"Can you see him?"

"More or less, although not very clearly, unless he shows himself. I have some affinity with them, although only a little," the healer acknowledged.

"He's Pikgro, he's my friend. He has been waiting for me to wake up, he was worried," explained the archer.

Master and apprentice widened their eyes. It wasn't so strange to get to see, and even speak with, a spirit, but that was highly exceptional. Spirits used to be curious about all living things, be it elves, humans, deer or ants. But it was extremely unusual that they were so close to one of those living beings.

Given everything they had seen and heard about the elf, as well as her bond with the animal she called sister, it was clear that she was someone quite special. She was someone who was even friends with a spirit.

"I... I see... This... Do you know anything about a small being that brought pieces of snakes to you, pieces that disappeared?" Dalhadri asked again.

"You mean her?" Goldmi showed her assistant.

"Eh yes. How...!?" she didn't finish, as she was totally stunned, while observing that the little being looked like her patient.

"Well, this... I'm what... you call a visitor..." she confessed, immediately panicking a bit. "But... Could you not tell anyone!? Or at least, not outside the village...? It might not be good if it's known and..."

"Wow... One surprise after another..." the woman sighed, almost speechless. "Of course, we'll only tell the village chiefs. Got it, Nadel?"

"Yes, yes, of course. Understood..." the apprentice rushed to respond to the penetrating gaze of his teacher.

"Thank you."

"No, thanks to you. Also, you have the friendship of a spirit. That makes you a priestess, someone worthy of great respect. Most of us have rarely had the honor of seeing or speaking with a spirit," the healer bowed again.

"No, please, just treat me like everyone else, okay?" the archer almost begged.

Not that she was very shy, but she got quite nervous when they praised her, when they used her as an example. So, when the healer nodded with an understanding smile, she sighed in relief.

She then looked at Pikshbxgro, who understood his aunt perfectly, and had no problem pleasing her. After all, interacting with other beings was always fun. So, he let the two elves see him. The apprentice was astonished, and the teacher even let a few tears fall. At the same time, she was smiling widely at the spirit that was greeting them.