Pursuit

The lynx knew that she was unable to land and keep her balance. Not only had her jump been precarious, but the back over she had to land on was vibrating and moving, and also she was carrying her sister on her back. She didn't even have time to twist around to face the landing with her claws.

Then, Goldmi squeezed her power, invoking Float while still holding onto the lynx. It wasn't enough to lift them both, but it did lighten the weight of her mount, allowing her to maneuver in midair and stabilize.

She managed to land on all four legs, immediately leapt back to the wall, and propelled herself forward again. The triceratops had been in the second row and the ant in the fourth, while its last stop on the wall was at the fifth row. So, they had jumped right behind the last barrier, and had surpassed it.

However, that didn't mean they were safe. Although they weren't in compact formation, many other corrupted creatures were in front of them, and those that had just been passed were turning. Although they were doing it slowly and creating great chaos, because they were too close together and lacked intelligence.

The ant and the feline they had jumped over had been killed by their own companions' attacks, but they were two barely noticeable casualties among the hundreds of creatures. However, Goldmi could sense that they had received the same experience as if they had been killed by them. So, an idea came to her mind, an idea that might allow them to gain a little more strength. That would give them a better chance of surviving.

Meanwhile, hidden among the dead trees, a corrupted spirit was furious.

"Go after them! Damn stupid creatures! Don't let them escape!"

The feline was running in a zigzag, trying to avoid the beings that, despite not standing compactly, were abundant, as they were continually being called there. From a distance, the barrier that had tried to block their path was beginning to gain speed in their pursuit.

Goldmi was shooting at every corrupted creature within range, even if it wasn't an immediate threat. Her target was their legs, trying to disturb their mobility. Dozens of them had arrows stuck there or in their thighs, either physical arrows or Ethereal Arrows.

She knew they would heal with miasma after some time, or so the Oracle had told her, but perhaps they wouldn't have that time. On the one hand, she wanted to hinder those close to them, so that they could flee more easily. On the other, she was soon able to verify that her plan was working.

Not only were the five rows that had tried to block them coming out in pursuit, but those which were further behind had joined them. They had formed a terrible stampede that didn't stop for anything, not even for other corrupted beings that, lame from the attacks of the elf, couldn't move away or join them.

Dozens of them were crushed and eliminated without batting an eye. They were just obstacles that had to be overcome, so they were rammed and trampled by their kin.

Soon, the two sisters felt that they had reached level 8, and they reached level 9 not much later. However, they had a serious problem, as the feline was beginning to feel tired, and stopping wasn't an option, not even to recover the breath.

In fact, it was getting harder and harder to dodge the birds which were diving towards them. The lynx seemed to have eyes on her back, and indeed did, those of her sister. However, she had barely dodged the last two by a few centimeters. Goldmi knew that her sister could hardly dodge the next one, as it was coming too soon, so she cast three Ethereal Arrows, along with three Piercing Arrows and Three better than one to injure the level 10 bird.

She had changed to a level 9 bow, though hadn't dared to change the rest of the equipment during their swift escape. She managed to hit the bird, destabilizing it and causing it to hit the ground, where shortly after it would be run over. But she hadn't much mana or energy left. They were both on their limit.

She looked anxiously at the map, at their only chance. She wasn't sure if they could escape there, not even if they could get there, but they couldn't find other choice.

A hawk managed to hit the lynx in one leg, causing her to stumble, so the elf lost balance and fell. Using her last mana reserves and while swiftly saving the bow, she cast Float to steady herself, and desperately clutched at her sister's fur, who slowed just an instant to launch her forward, and so she could hug her neck. That caused the feline more pain in the wound, so she clenched her fangs, trying to ignore it and keep running.

The hawk rolled on the ground, where it would perish soon after, trampled underfoot. The lynx leaped onto the stone wall, barely surpassing a 14 level wolfpine, and shuddering once more in pain. As they were advancing, the level of their enemies were rising. In the distance, they could see beings that almost reached level 20 heading towards them.

Five birds of levels between 15 and 18 were flying in their direction, and would arrive in less than a minute. And their pursuers were beginning to gain ground, as the feline's speed had decreased. She could no longer maintain it.

Suddenly, they stopped, and Goldmi jumped in front of the rock wall. She was so nervous and terrified that a small polished stone almost fell off her hand. There was a seal on it, a seal that matched the one on the wall, and that in the game was the key to get through the door.

The keys belonged to the Adventurer's Guild, and were to be returned after use, unless you were a visitor. What they didn't know was if it would work as in the game. If it didn't, or needed time to open up, they were doomed.

A soft light shimmered, allowing them both to cross the translucent barrier.

"Crash!"

They turned to find a bumpy bird that had slammed into the entrance, unable to get through. It was level 16, and had collided barely a few seconds after they had entered. They had been saved by a whisker. What they didn't know was how long that barrier could hold.

Suddenly, a movement caught their attention. They were in a dark dungeon, but light was pouring in from where they had come. They soon saw it. It was a kind of slug that was moving slowly towards them. And it was level 20. This must be one of the inhabitants of the first floor of the dungeon, a being too powerful for them.

"What's that!" Goldmi exclaimed.

They had temporarily escaped from their pursuers, but had encountered perhaps greater danger.