The Oracle (II)

"Do you know if Elendnas is fine? Where is he? Whatever you know..." the elf practically pleaded.

"I can't give you that information, either. You need to search for the information yourself."

Despite the lack of response, in the words of the Oracle she understood that, at least, he was alive, because if she had to find him, it meant that she could. Perhaps, it was only a forced interpretation of those words through her own wishes. Or maybe it was a slip of the Oracle. Or maybe it was premeditated. Whatever the reality, Goldmi was slightly relieved to understand that the elf she had saved on a unique mission was alive.

"Will he remember me? Will everyone I spoke with remember me? How long has it been?"

"The time in your home world and your adoption world are in sync. The time that passed in that one, is the one that has passed in this one. Some will remember you, others will not. Some with whom you thought you had spoken were just illusions. Others were reality. Maybe your heart is able to distinguish one from another. Maybe, deep in your soul, you know the truth."

Goldmi was silent for a long time, wondering if she had really spoken and saved Elendnas. She wanted to believe she did. She wanted to believe that her heart was saying it had happened, and she decided to believe it. Still, the actual situation was something she had to see for herself, but she was still too weak to go where he lived, at least in the game.

"What do I have to do now?"

"That's your decision. My mission is to serve as a guide, not as a master. The decisions about yourself have to be made by you."

"This... is... real? If I die, can I revive?"

"In the past, you weren't entirely there, so you couldn't die entirely. Now you are, so your death would be permanent. Your second chance has been to come back here. There is no third."

She was afraid that it was like it, but she had to make sure. The pain was too real to believe that she could just resurrect as in the game. It was partly scary to be in a place surrounded by danger, but she wasn't as scared as she'd thought she would be in a situation like that. Then, she looked at the Oracle with curiosity.

"And you, what are you? Do you have a name? Are you man or woman?"

"I am an Oracle, no more, no less," he replied.

"And where do you live? Are you passing through? Will you stay long?"

"I live in the world. I came here as your guide, and I will stay as long as needed," he continued, simply answering the questions. He didn't seem to mind the elf's curiosity, even though some questions were personal.

"Don't you ever laugh? Or cry?" she persisted, with frustration. It was like talking to bot.

"The feelings of an oracle, if any, shouldn't be revealed."

"Oh come on... Someone has to be behind the mask. Can I touch it?"

The elf moved a little closer when asked, but an invisible barrier stopped her.

"There are secrets that shouldn't be revealed," the Oracle reiterated, in a tone that, for the first time, contained something else, a warning.

"I... I'm sorry," she apologized, withdrawing her hand and feeling like a little girl who has been caught doing a mischief.

The Oracle didn't respond nor flinch, which made her feel a bit uncomfortable.

"Are you angry?"

"There is no reason to be."

"Then you can be angry if there was," the elf continued, with a triumphant smile.

"I am only a guide, you shouldn't worry about my nature," he said, after a few seconds of silence.

"But you're the first one I can talk to, other than my sister. And, if you're going to stay for a while, we could at least be friends," she almost pleaded.

"My mission is that of guide, not that of companion. I must provide the information that is required, if possible, not build relationships."

"You sound like a robot," Goldmi complained, resigned, and without getting any reply. She couldn't even be sure if whoever was in front of her knew what a robot was or not. "Do you want something to eat? I can prepare many different dishes for you."

"You don't need to worry about my needs," replied the Oracle, in the same usual neuter tone.

Finally, the elf gave in to the impossibility of dealing with that mysterious being, so she limited herself to asking questions about the game's interface, skills, or spells, or about the world she was in. Of course, the information wasn't always clear, but he always answered her questions.

And, meanwhile, the lynx dozed, while being rolled up on herself, though she was listening to the conversation. On more than one occasion, she couldn't help but laugh inside, and in some of those moments, she had received the elf's murderous gaze, causing her to find it even harder to control her laughter. Their bond could become isolated if it was really desired, but neither of them had even tried.

The truth was that the elf had not only felt the slight mockery of her sister when she had tried to find out something about the Oracle himself, but also her support when the questions were more personal and important to her. They knew perfectly well that they could count on each other for anything.

Finally, at mid-morning, the elf and the lynx headed for the green circle. Although both felt somewhat apprehensive, they also understood that it was the path to go. And since they had made the decision, they weren't going to delay it any longer.

They placed themselves on the circle and it shone, creating a kind of cylinder of light that enveloped them and made them disappear. Another similar phenomenon occurred in a cave, in which the same two figures that had vanished in the village appeared.

They left the circle and went back inside, checking that they had returned to the village, and they repeated the procedure again, feeling like children that were entering a revolving door for the first time. Again in the cave, Goldmi studied it wistfully. It was the same one she had traveled to in the game, many years ago.

Following her memories and the light that came through there, they went to the exit of said cave, from which the outside could be observed. What they saw left them speechless.