Ties

The drelf used another of her artifacts to create a barrier around them, one that isolated them from the outside world. She then undid her disguise, and showed her true level to the elf's astonishment.

"I too could've prevented danger, but I didn't want to compromise my mission. I guess it's too late now."

"What... What do you mean?" asked a stunned elf.

"My mission is to protect you. You killed a general, right? That makes you very valuable, very important. And the higher ups decided to send me to protect you. I was supposed to keep my identity a secret, so I suppose they'll replace me," she sighed. "The truth is that we were never in danger."

For more than a minute, there was an awkward silence between them, until the elf broke it, with sadness and shyness.

"So, I guess you only approached me for the mission. You may never have liked me."

"Of course not! Okay, yes. But no!"

Goldmi stared at her, confused. Maldoa took a deep breath, to try to calm herself.

"At first, I approached you for the mission. You know, they didn't tell me anything, just that I should protect you. I thought you would be the spoiled and pampered daughter of one of the bosses. I was a little upset," laughed the drelf.

"At least, I'm not that," protested the archer timidly.

"I know that. I wouldn't have been talking until I don't know what time of night if I hadn't liked you. I know I haven't told you the truth. I know I have deceived you. But, if you can forgive me, I wish we could be friends," she confessed.

"I didn't tell you the whole truth either..." the elf recognized, while her tears were running down again, although this time not from sadness. "If it's okay with you, I wouldn't mind..."

The drelf hugged her suddenly, also with tears in her eyes. That situation had placed a great weight on her, because dryads are honest beings who don't hide their feelings, and she was half dryad. That hug released her from half her weight. The other half was released after being hugged back.

They hugged each other for a long time, without saying anything, until another aspect of the dryads finally came to light: their curiosity.

"If you are a visitor, do you have that thing called inventory? And what about assistants? Can I see them? What else can you do? Is it true that, in the past, you saw us but not? How many skills and spells do you have? Do you level up as fast as they say?"

The elf looked at her, and blinked several times. Then, she burst into laughter, which caused her friend to blush and look away, as then she was aware of her behavior. By letting herself go, her true personality had emerged.

Goldmi didn't hesitate to explain, and show her everything she had asked. Even that she had raised two levels that morning, something that she didn't understand herself. It was too fast even for her.

They were talking again until sleep defeated them. Before that, the drelf had tasted Goldmi's food with great gluttony, and had been even accepted by the lynx as a dessert companion. She had also played for a long time with the little Goldmis.

For her part, Goldmi had learned more about that world, about the different kingdoms, about some differences with the game, and, above all, what Maldoa knew about the visitors.

Unfortunately, it wasn't much, just rumors, some real, some not, and most of them were exaggerated. What had hurt her the most had been that it was taken for granted that only one per race would return. That meant that no other elven visitors would appear, and, even worse, it was highly unlikely that she would see Eldi or Gjaki again. Out of thousands of players, it was rare enough that she had returned.

Nor did she know anything about those who had already arrived, except for a demihuman who had apparently disappeared some time later, perhaps dead, after making a big fuss. The reasons why some returned and others didn't were unknown.

What she had been grateful for had been the encouragement of Maldoa, who had assured to a red elf that Elendnas would probably remember her. Although it was impossible to know more.

Still, the most important thing for Goldmi had been, for the first time since she had come to Jorgaldur, to feel so close to another person, to have a friend to trust, someone besides her sister. And, someone who, before sleeping, had made her review what she had recovered by leveling up.

At level 31, she had obtained Light Trail, a spell that is applied to an arrow. It creates a purifying trail behind it, which opens in the shape of a cone after the passage of the projectile, and damages everything it hits. This damage isn't too high, but it can affect many enemies. She had it at 3, which showed that it didn't have many uses in the game.

At level 32, there was Wind Trail, which is similar to the previous one, although it does slashing damage. Her affinity was at 4.

"It would have been useful against mosquitoes," she had sighed.

Regarding skills, in 31 she had recovered Dual Dance. It was somewhat similarity to Eldi's Dancing Axe, although with less damage and more defense, as it was more effective to block attacks. She had it at 6. The worst of the skill was that she had been forced to show it to the eager drelf.

"It's beautiful! Elendnas would surely be fascinated", Maldoa had teased and embarrassed her friend, who had threatened not to let her taste any more desserts. In that, both her sister and her friend shared weakness.

And, at 32, a passive that greatly increased the distance with which she could communicate with her sister. It was extremely useful in the game, and certainly in reality as well. And it would be even more so in the future if...

For an instant, her thoughts were lost beyond where they were. She was looking up at the sky that was hidden behind the wooden ceiling of the bedroom. She was wondering, like every time she looked at the sky, what would have become of her, if she...

"The Oracle said we'll know when the time came. There is no use worrying," interrupted the lynx.

"I know but..."

"Yes, I miss her too. She's a bit cocky, but she's our sister. I hope we can see her again."