Return trip

The lynx jumped back as an arrow headed toward her. She hadn't managed to finish off the prince, as she had only been able to break the last protection spells from the artifacts, which had prevented her from piercing the jugular. However, Krusledón was burned, his arms torn, and a few bones broken.

He had never been beaten, and the most that he had suffered until then had been some falls, after which he had been immediately cured of any minor blow suffered. However, his current appearance was pitiful. He didn't even have the strength to scream.

"Protect the prince! Bring a potion!'' ordered a level 58 warrior.

Several stepped between him and the feline, while another approached, and pulled a potion from his backpack.

"Be careful! She is..." the tamer tried to warn them, but she was too late.

The elf had Camouflaged again, and gotten close enough on the other side to cast a Wind Pillar. The spell was amplified by the affinity of the place, so a huge column of wind towered over her target. It shattered the potion, and engulfed those nearby.

Confused, they didn't know how to react to the powerful and unexpected spell. Those who had been trapped tried to protect themselves as best they could, while trying to escape. Those who had remained outside looked at the column in astonishment, without knowing what to do.

The lynx had taken advantage of the situation and disappeared into the forest with her sister, by Camouflaging themselves. There were more than ten enemies out of the spell's range, whose levels were higher than theirs. It was too dangerous to face them.

Only the goshawk stayed there. She was hidden in the top of a tree, and watching them. She informed her sisters that the prince was dead, which was a relief. They wouldn't have to worry about him anymore.

The prince hadn't been the only one to die. A level 55 magician had been unable to react, to counteract the destructive power of the Pillar, so it had died full of cuts. Three others had suffered serious injuries, but they would soon be healed.

However, their lives weren't guaranteed. They had failed in their protection mission, so retaliation was likely. In fact, some of them were already planning not to return, to hide in Goltrenak or in a neighboring country. Maybe, they would change their identities.

The albino goshawk had been feeling alone for years, without a clear goal, apart from a wait that she didn't know if it would bear fruit. However, in just a few hours, her life had changed. She had recovered her sisters, the food was delicious, and she felt useful in the battles alongside them. All of this had given her back her will to live.

Now, she was flying over the forest, while carefully observing the movements that she could perceive under the treetops and in the shadows. It was something the bird of prey used to do, but now she had a goal beyond finding food.

For now, the prince's entourage wasn't following them, but they didn't know if they would end up doing so. Though within the forest they could confront them, there was no reason to do so. They had achieved their goal in this place, they had found their sister. Now, they intended to return to the elven kingdom, where they assumed they would be safe.

Therefore, they moved quickly, without traveling the roads. However, now there was an additional reason, they didn't want to be discovered.

Of course, they stopped for lunch, and didn't forget breakfast or dinner. A very powerful reason was needed to convince the two elf's sisters. Although they argued a lot, they were in complete agreement on that.

Three level 50 and one meter long dragonflies attacked them before the first night, near a lake. They were fast and stealthy, but several levels below, and they had picked the wrong preys. Not only did Cyclonic Barrier hinder their attacks, but the elf could attack from afar and with precision. Besides, the feline was agile, possessed fire, and had very dangerous claws.

As if that weren't enough, there was an additional enemy flying over their heads, which attacked one of them suddenly and with great speed. It didn't have time to defend itself, as its wings were torn, and something Collided against its body.

Naughty Branches were very efficient at disturbing the flight of those insects, although they were too fast for Tangle. Wind Trail was also very annoying to them, although not as much as seeing their wings pierced by the elf's arrows. They could also be thrown against a trunk by Wind Push if they got too close to her.

They were soon killed, and two fairies began to collect arrows and the remains of the winged predators.

"Their meat doesn't look bad. How about dinner?" suggested the lynx.

"It looks delicious," agreed the hawk.

"I don't think I have any recipe for... Oh, well, I do have one," the elf was surprised.

So, that night, they had some dragonfly steaks in garlic sauce for dinner, served with a red rice in a spicy sauce which was typical of a kingdom south of Engenak. The wings had been made into a crispy appetizer, while the legs were sliced and fried like potatoes.

Goldmi felt a little apprehensive about eating the insect. Nonetheless, if she didn't think about it, it was delicious. It no longer looked like a dangerous predator wanting to eat them. In addition, little by little, she was getting used to it.

After dinner, they slept inside the castle, under the protection of Vegetable Home, and with the area surrounded by Alarms. They would warn them of any unwanted visitors. Despite the arguments, the goshawk slept on the fluffy body of the lynx.

In a few days, they reached the mining village where they had stopped on the outward trip, but they didn't this time. They camped a little further, in the forest, where no presence posed a danger to them.

It was the next morning that they confirmed a feeling that had been growing in recent days. The number of soldiers and adventurers on the roads had increased.

Now, they were inspecting the wagons. However, rather than looking for merchandise, they seemed to be looking for people, as all travelers were examined. They even used spells to counter illusions.

In fact, they had been forced deeper into the forest, as some adventurers had entered to explore it, and they seemed to have the means to search the surroundings. Without being able to Camouflage their aura, they ran the risk of being detected.

What they wondered was who they were looking for. They feared the worst.