Oasis defense

The scene of the mother unicorn with her newborn son was adorable, but it wasn't the only thing there. She began to glow, first softly and then increasingly stronger, and it was her horn where the intensity was the greatest. She had used all her power in the birth of her son, and now she was gradually recovering some of it to fulfill her duty to defend him.

Suddenly, a column of power surged above her. It opened when it reached about twenty meters in height, thus forming a huge dome that covered the entire area. It was much weaker than the one that had been guarding the place a short time ago, but it was enough to keep out enemies, at least for now.

Goldmi snapped out of her trance and gripped the bow, determined. That no more enemies were arriving gave them a chance to fight back, but they couldn't waste time.

She used her mana and energy to kill as many as she could, while the lynx didn't fall behind. But it was the awakened which were putting a fiercer fight, although, unfortunately, they were uncontrollable. They attacked any corrupted one in their vicinity, even those which were probably close to awakening. Therefore, their number didn't increase, although it remained stable, and it was enough to not allow the enemy forces to overwhelm them.

Meanwhile, the mother unicorn was sitting next to the little one, of whose future horn there was only a small protrusion on his forehead. It would take time to appear, maybe even over a hundred years, by which time he would become a teenager unicorn. Until then, he would depend on the protection of her mother.

She looked exhausted, at the limit of her strength. Without the need to use mana to delay birth, the pressure on her had decreased. But her reserves were low, and this was a low mana density place, so her recovery was slow. And furthermore, the number of creatures that were trying to break through the defense was by no means negligible, so forcing her to pour her power into the barrier.

Neither Goldmi nor her sister could tell if she could hold out or faint at any moment, so they were giving everything to end the threat.

A buffalo-like being fell and rolled upon itself after one of its legs gave way, as it was pierced by an arrow with Void. Immediately, the lynx's powerful jaws grasped its neck, seizing the opportunity created by her sister.

Nearby, something like a hornless rhinoceros used its breastplate to charge a kind of tuskless mammoth. Not far away, a huge awakened spiny snake coiled around a huge toad. Their colors were much darker than it had been in the past.

Some roots relaxed to free a newly awakened huge cat, which lunged for a strange mix of bear and lizard, already under attack by a giant termite, and which succumbed to the surprise attack. Feline and termite then headed for their next victim, a poisonous slug trapped in some roots.

Goldmi managed her attacks with great care, as her mana was limited. She could temporarily nail the hoof of a corrupted one into the ground with an arrow, so breaking the balance in its fight against an awakened, and dooming it. Or hold back another one with branches or roots, so giving her allies a break, or the opportunity to attack with advantage.

But it was clear that the one with whom she was most in tune was her sister. It wasn't just their telepathic connection, but their perfect understanding of each other. Many times no words were needed, just a gesture, a look, the position of the feline about to attack.

The lynx even knew when to step aside for an arrow to pass through her previous position. Or tell her sister what she wanted, what gave her the most advantage. Sometimes, a jaw pierced by an arrow. Others, one of the limbs compromised. Maybe a plugged poison gland. Or an incision that could be attacked, thus breaking through a strong defense.

The worst thing was the numerical disadvantage, but with the help of the root prisons, and the not very numerous but constant reinforcements of the awakened, this disadvantage was gradually being diluted. It was true that there would have been more awakened if those had attacked with a bit of intelligence, but the new ones were enough to replace those which died.

And, although at first the corrupted forces managed to advance, little by little they began to be kept under control, and they were finally overcome. The remaining awakened didn't sit idle, but broke through the barrier and attacked those outside. However, they were far fewer, so they soon succumbed and their souls were finally released.

The elf and lynx also headed outside, after healing their wounds, but they didn't allow themselves to rest to regain their energy. They knew that each corrupted being they removed was less pressure on the unicorn.

And Pikshbxgro had taken refuge again next to the unicorn. But, unlike the previous occasion, he was no longer terrified. So, he was looking with great curiosity at the little unicorn, who returned his gaze for a moment, but soon he closed his eyes again and fell asleep curled up next to his mother, while feeling protected by her aura and warmth.

It took more than a day for the two of them to return. Exhausted, they approached the unicorn, and the elf was embraced by the spirit, who almost made her fall. And as soon as they found out she was fine, she set up the tent and both sisters went into it. Soon, they fell asleep while taking a hot bath.

It is true that it is often said that cats don't like water, but either it isn't entirely true, or that doesn't happen in Jorgaldur, or a lynx doesn't share the tastes of a cat, or that one in particular was a so much special. Whatever the reason, she fell asleep next to his sister in the warmth of the water, the temperature of which was kept constant by a mana stone.

And, meanwhile, a mischievous spirit was playing in the water, but making sure not to interrupt the well-deserved rest of both sisters.