In front of the hole

The next day, breakfast was copious. The goshawk had gone out to investigate earlier, and discovered various elves around what had been the tunnel. Apparently, they were inspecting it, but there didn't seem to be anyone looking for her, so they allowed themselves a brief celebration.

A delicious sponge cake covered in chocolate was the star of that breakfast. The only problem was that the goshawk stopped being albino for a while, as she was stained with chocolate. Seeing her two gluttonous sisters smeared with it was hard for the elf. When she left, she still had a belly ache. It is not good to laugh so much.

Goldmi was wearing another disguise, which only slightly changed her nose and eyes, in addition to her hair, which was now soft green. It was similar to the elves that her winged sister had seen. She wanted to know the situation, to get as much information as she could, so she wanted to get closer to them.

However, the elf felt something strange about her four-legged sister. Given their situation, the feline hadn't had time to contemplate the forest she was in, to let her scents be discovered by her smell sense. Now, she had, and her mind had been filled with memories. Some were nice. Others were not so much.

"Sisters, go on ahead. I have something to do. I'll be back soon."

The goshawk and the elf watched the lynx march with concern. However, they didn't try to dissuade her. Whatever she had in mind, she was completely determined.

"Call if you need us," the elf offered uneasily.

"Don't do more nonsense than usual," the goshawk said.

The lynx nodded and disappeared into the vegetation. Her level was now higher than the area they were in, so she should have nothing to fear. That didn't avoid that her sisters felt uneasy when they saw her figure disappear, when they felt what her sister felt.

However, the only thing they could do was trust her. So, Goldmi went to where the elves were, to the hole from which she had come out. Since the level 65 armor was in very bad shape, and she was Disguised, she used the level 55 one.

The goshawk hovered on the sky, alert to any danger, while the elf approached them. She wore two swords on her belt, although she only used one of them, and both were level 55. In fact, she had used Disguise to make it appear that this was her level too.

There were more than twenty people there. Some appeared to be surveying the terrain, while others were simply looking and talking to each other. So, she approached a half-elf with green hair slightly darker than hers, and whose eyes were green as well. She carried a spear on her back, and a sword on her belt.

"Hi. I'm Arwen. Do you know what have happened here?" Goldmi introduced herself and approached her.

"Eh... Ah... Hi, I am Quilxia. You have a funny name, I've never heard it before. Well, you see, this hole has appeared. We don't know very well how it happened, it seems that the ground has simply sunk. I've arrived not long ago. I guess they're looking to see if the rest is safe, if something else can collapse. Are you from around here? I hadn't seen you before," she replied cordially.

Goldmi cursed her former companions. They had told her that Luna Dorada wasn't an elven name, and that something like Arwen would be much more natural. Of course, if they were there and she complained about it, the elf was sure she would only get them to laugh. Although she would pay to hear those laughs again. Nonetheless, now wasn't the time to think about it.

"No, I'm passing through. Soon I'll return home to Narzerlak. What about you? Are you from around here?" she replied.

"Ha, ha. That's why I hadn't seen you before. Yes, I'm from a nearby village. If you aren't in a hurry and want to stay a few days, you're welcome. The inn is clean and the food is good. Although it may be wrong for me to say it, since it's my mother's, ha ha. If you try to cross the border these days, you'll need a lot of patience," added Quilxia.

"Why? Has something happened?" Goldmi was interested.

"It seems they have put a high price on someone's head. There're also many bounty hunters trying to find her. So, they inspect anyone who passes. If you want me to tell you the truth, I hope they don't find her. She's an elf, one of us. They say she killed a prince, but I don't believe an elf did it without good reason. Surely, that bastard did or wanted to do something to her," the half-elf ranted. It was clear that she didn't like the nobles very much, a sentiment that was shared by many in that area.

Goldmi couldn't help but smile and like her. After all, she was defending her, not even knowing it was her. They talked for a while, which allowed the disguised elf to discovered that this half-elf was a hunter, and the oldest of three siblings, all of them very young. In fact, she was barely sixty years old.

It was then that an elf interrupted them. He also looked like a hunter, and was level 56, one level below the half-elf. He carried a bow and an axe.

"Hi Quilxia! Ah, you're not alone, who's your friend? I'm Melgdor, the best hunter in the area. Are you new here? I can show you around. I know some beautiful and quiet corners," he interrupted.

"Hi Melgdor. She's passing through. She'll be leaving soon. You can go now," Quilxia replied coldly. She was clearly irritated.

"Oh come on, Quilxia, don't be like that. I'm just saying hi to two beauties. What is your name? Why don't you stay a few days?," he asked Goldmi.

"Um... I can't delay too much... My fiancé is waiting for me..." she lied.

"Ah... Sure... Your fiancé... Well, nice to meet you. See you later," the elf said goodbye.

Goldmi looked at the elf leaving, somewhat disbelieving. Then, she looked at Quilxia, somewhat puzzled. The half-elf had covered her mouth and bent slightly in front of her. Finally, she couldn't take it anymore.

"Ha, ha, ha!! Have you seen his face? Ha, ha! Fiancé! It's been great! Ha, ha! He hasn't even realized how bad you lie. Ha, ha!

Goldmi looked at her somewhat embarrassed. Although she was beginning to be infected with her laughter.

"Oh, just stop. You're going to make me laugh. Pfff. Nor was it entirely a lie," she confessed without realizing it.

"Not entirely a lie? So, there is someone..."

"Not...! I didn't say that!" she tried to deny.

"Ha, ha! You've turned red. Ha, ha! Tell me, who is he?" Quilxia inquired, while Goldmi looked away.