CHAPTER 24 [EDITED]

5132

"Seven centuries, Eros. When would we stop?"

"When you decide it. I can't be the only one waiting-" He stopped, turning around quickly to notice who interrupted their talking.

When I scheduled a meeting with Eros, I didn't exactly expect to see him get caught with a girl. Not my fault if he forgot to say goodbye to his clients before the next meeting.

I waved, grinning.

The girl didn't take long to leave and then Eros was coming over with a grin of his own. "Can't resist a little gossip?"

I shrugged. "You two weren't exactly quiet. Who's that?"

"Catherine, Rebecca's daughter."

"The bitch has a daughter?" I threw my hands off when he raised an eyebrow. "I'm not saying sorry."

"You're not entirely wrong so..."

"What's up with the sulking?" The handful of times I've seen him in the coven, he was always grinning or cracking jokes. He looked far away from that now.

He sighed. "It's complicated."

Complicated for me was Mikhail. And the fact that I was trying to bring back Emie for two months only to face failure.

"What? The bitch doesn't want you to be with her daughter? Thinks too highly of herself?"

"That." A smile formed on his face. "And she already has a beloved."

Oh, it was that complicated.

"That sucks."

"Yeah sucks that her beloved has no problem with me but she has. She's being irrational, kinda like you, 5132. She thinks she's protecting us."

He had no idea how that felt like. "I am starting to think I'm going to like this Catherine."

"Oh, you will. Unfortunately, you caught her on the wrong day. Enough about her. What did you want to talk about?"

I took a deep breath, not wanting to show him how utterly desperate I was. "I wanted to know if you can talk to some demons again."

I expected to see him frustrated but he was looking at me with pity. That was even worse. "Look. You asked me and I did already. They don't know where she is, none of us do."

"Maybe they were low tanked demons," I suggested. That was possible, right? "Why don't you visit home for a while? Better yet, take me with you."

"You know it's not possible. We're stuck here." Fuck, I knew. Of course, I knew.

"5132, I understand you want your family back. Some of us want that do too but there was a reason the gate was closed. We've all accepted that. Maybe it's time you should too." No, no. Accepting meant giving up, moving on. I couldn't do that.

Never.

"So you can't help me."

"I didn't say that. Ask me about anything else-"

"I don't want anything else. I just need my sister back!" This wasn't the way I hoped this meeting would go. Fuck. "Either you give me some word, anything that tells me where she is. Or I'm leaving."

He stared at me, unflinching. "I'm sorry."

So be it.

I left his estate for the coven's manor. Two months. Two whole months of trying and hoping were coming to an end just like that. Hannah tried several spells from that book, spells that were forbidden to even use. We even dared to summon some demons via Eros so that I could find out in what part of the hell Emie was in. But it's like she disappeared off the hell. No one knew where she landed when she was banished with Keisha. Either I had to try harder or the other realization...it was just so surreal.