DEATH PURGE

I was late.

Too late.

"Emie!" I shouted loud enough for her to turn toward me. How many weeks had it really been? I wanted to grip her chin to make sure that she just wasn't one of those dreams that disappeared the moment I woke up.

That she was real and breathing.

"Oh thank fuck, you are alright. You are here." My hands raised without my permission, tightening around her own. She smelled like heaven and I could have cried. But before I could even open my mouth, she shoved me with a glare.

For a second, I wondered what made her do that when I remembered what I had to do to make her hate me. I winced, closing my eyes. I really was a bastard. But I did it for her safety.

She had to have known that I had a valid reason.

With that new determination, I closed the distance between us. "Emie, we need to talk-"

"I'm not dealing with you right now. I need to helpothers. You know...the people who actually matter and don't lie on a whim?" Her voice was monotone, with no glimpse of the woman I left. Was she too far gone? Did I do this? Pushed her to the brink of a numb state? 

No way in hell I'd allow that to happen.

"I need to talk to you, little soul. You better hear it before I lose my life."

Her eyes widened. "What do you mean by lose your life?"

"I've made some pretty good enemies in the last few weeks. I'm sure the demon King will kill me and if he doesn't...Zed will." She started speaking but I put a stop to it. "No, listen to me. I need to tell you why I left. You deserve at least that."

"You are not listening to me. I need some time, please."

My eyes narrowed. "But-"

"You crushed my heart without even blinking." The accusation rang loud and clear. "I thought I lost you when Cone stopped giving me updates. I couldn't feel your emotions, couldn't hear your voice, you totally shut me out. Even then, I should have only hated you. Not fear. God, I can't feel that fear again. What do you want from me? You don't love me, you don't let go of me. I'm tired of your games, I am so so tired. So please, I beg you, give me some time to pick myself up. Alexei, please."

The pain in those words tore me apart.

"You want me to beg on my knees? Fine! I'll do-" Before she could actually drop on the floor, I reached for her with a shout.

"I'll give you time, Emie! Anything you ask."

The disgust I felt for myself couldn't be anymore greater than the disappointment she felt for me before escaping my sight.

"No matter what happens, I'm here!" I shouted at her retreating back, hoping that she heard me. But when she kept running, my form deflected, all the energy spent with a chuckle that felt just as hollow as I felt inside.

"Darkness!" Hearing my name, I headed toward the entrance where the voice was coming from. Loud shrieks of the demons around me were the only thing I could hear. Did I imagine that voice calling for me?

Where was it? Who could it be-I didn't have to think any longer, the moment I was near the entrance, I noticed Allegra trying to get her off a demon who was leaching itself into her body. Anger raised quickly, transforming me into what I really was.

"Hey!" Finally, the demon turned around and as soon as it did, shadows flew toward it. Those vicious beings tore through the low-rank demon's flesh, turning it into nothing but blood and ashes. Allegra's eyes were wide with surprise as she adjusted her hair which was now covered with the gore the demon left behind. Though in a minute, there was a smile on her face.