SERENDIPITY

ONE MONTH LATER

"The flower. Where the hell is the flower?" Lana's voice could be heard from the next room. By the way she was shouting, I guessed the whole Norcia heard her. Someone liked the color blue. It was everywhere, from the walls to the stairs and even on the house entrance.

"You look like you just ate a lemon." Zach laughed at the face I was making. 

"It's nauseating to see Lana ramble about her engagement every five seconds. I get it, lady, it's your day but hell, we live here too. And if I see any more blue, I might have to bleach my eyes dry." I deliberately whispered so Lana couldn't hear. Only one time I had said that I didn't give a shit if she made us wear a Tux or trash and she burned almost all of my hair. 

I was still mourning it.

I didn't need her to give me a buzzcut next.

Zach couldn't stop laughing. "She's always cheerful. You should've seen her in high school, man. Always planning things ahead and it always has to be perfect so it isn't that surprising that she's making us work for her engagement."

"Don't bother. I'm already happy NOT knowing her before." I spat out, earning an eye roll.

"And Emeline still wants you." Zach let out a loud as hell gasp. "Oh wait, she doesn't. See? You care about us, big guy. Just because you say that you don't, doesn't make it a truth."

"And Emie?" I felt a pang in my chest but I ignored it. "She still doesn't want me then?"

Ever since that day, she had taken her things from our room to go live in a guest room. Even when our eyes would meet once in a while, she'd hurry to leave the place. If that wasn't a hint that she hated me, I didn't know what it was. 

"Watching her won't bring her back, Alexei. Trust me, I've done that shit. If she feels even a little for you, fight for it."

I thought about what he said, watching Mikhail getting ready for his engagement. This was what could've been our life. But just because I thought that my shadows, my true self was going to be the one to hurt her, I pushed her away. Then again I did fulfill the future one way or another. 

I hurt her by lying. 

"You're right. I've given her time, Zach. Not anymore." I said with confidence. Yes, I would do the right thing. I'd tell her the truth, I'd tell her just what I saw in Ivy's mind and break this thin ice that's been ruining our marriage. Before Zach could answer, Mikhail cleared his throat. 

"I'm ready." He was in a black suit, hair all spiked up courtesy of Zed. Though he looked his best, the nervous fidgeting didn't get ignored by me. My own wariness toward Emie was hard to ignore too when Zed looked at both of us.

"It's his engagement today, I get that he's freaking out. What's your problem?"

I clenched my jaw, giving them a tensed smile. "Nothing, master, absolutely nothing."

"D-Don't call me that. I am not worthy of that name anymore-" 

"Bullshit. You've always been my master. Nothing changes it." And if I had to prove it to him every day I would.

"Fine, have it your way. We're getting late anyway." Following them, I entered the hall room where the ceremony was supposed to happen. The whole manor was beautifully decorated only worsening my mood. Why for once I couldn't do right by someone? 

"There she is." Zach halted my trail of thoughts. True to him, I noticed Emie walking in a long black dress beside Lana. As if noticing my stare she looked up tensing. But to my surprise, she gave me a genuine smile before looking away.