A TRIP TO THE PRESENT

DARKNESS

PRESENT TIME 

"So, where is she now?" I snapped at Zed who cringed at the tone. But there was a dry amusement in his voice when he finally opened his mouth.

"At least you are not acting like an animal. That's assuring."

What he said was partly true. When she was gone, I started acting like a wild animal snarling at anything within a 35-mile radius. But now that she was here but not truly with me, the fear that I lived with for years was coming in tenfold. Doubts and self-loathing filled my bones, leaving me to demand mercy and answers. 

Was she deliberately hiding from me?

Did she hate me now?

Did she even remember...

"Dear master, I remember I asked you a question." I reminded him, curling my fists to stop myself from snarling again. Zed took his sweet time watching me getting frustrated when he at least, finally, started to tap his desk with his knuckles. I thought the gesture was weird but to my surprise, that's when a woman entered the office to hand him a file. Stealing a look at me, she left just as fast as she came.

"Who was that?"

He looked up from the file. "That? Shayla. A friend of mine."

Ah.

"Good friend?" I grinned. "Or more than a friend..."

"Shut up. This came for you." He hesitated only for a second before he recovered, handing me the file that was just brought to him. I wasn't sure what I was going to find out but my gut twisted thinking about the worse case scenarios.

"What's in it?" I lifted an eyebrow, coming to his side.

"See them for yourself."

Rolling my eyes at Zed's half-assed answers, I opened the file, half expecting congratulations, we didn't kill you before your beloved returned apology letters from the Volkioses but what welcomed me was enough to rile me up again. My spine tensed the more I read. When I reached the last page, my eyes were as hard as the sward behind Zed's head. "For devil's sake! What's this!?"

His expression turned grim and he couldn't even meet my gaze. "This is something I found out yesterday. I wasn't so sure when I was told about her condition, so I told them to give me a written copy. This could be the only reason why she's not in here."

If looks could kill, he would be six feet under in a coffin by now. Clenching my fists, I glared at the offensive item on my hands. "Little soul wouldn't do that to me. She knows we are married and she wouldn't make a damn demon her fiancé!"

"Demon King." Zed corrected with a wince.

"Same fucking thing, master." Saying that aloud was enough to make my blood boil again. She had to have some feelings for me, she wouldn't dare to leave me for a demon King. However powerful he was.

"I know but-"

"No, buts, master." Biles crept up at the back of my throat, thinking of all of the time my wife must've been with the demon without even knowing anything. "I want her here right now. However fucking long that takes. I don't care if a war will break out, I don't care if the earth gets flooded. I just want her by my side."

His eyes widened hearing my words. There was a painful moment of silence before he straightened himself. "Sit down, Alexei. We have a lot of catching up to do."

He wasn't kidding when he called me by my full name. So as soon as I sat down in front of him, he declared. "How about we go see this source and you hear it for yourself?"

Fine by me.

***

For the rest of the journey, we were surrounded by complete silence. My first choice was going through a portal but I was noticeably weaker than ever so Zed offered to drive which I immediately agreed. Putting on a sappy love song he looked at me as if I'd crush that radio with my fists. It's only when even after hours there was no talk, he finally gave in to the curiosity. 

"So what now?" He asked, looking at me once in a while but I refused to talk. There was so much going on in my mind. I had to plan everything cleverly if I wanted to handle the truth. If that was even the truth.

"Deciding not to talk isn't going to take you anywhere," He mumbled, scoffing.

But it was taking me somewhere, I thought with a snort. 

"You know they could be right." Anger flashed over me but I stayed calm. Now wasn't the time for me to lose control. Even if we had an accident, we would survive.

But that'll be such a waste of a good car.

To my relief, after thirty or fifty more minutes later, he parked near a house. I was barely able to hold onto my amusement as I noticed the picket fence house only humans dream and whine about. Whoever lived here had to be a human or a halfwit. Jumping from the car, I ignored Zed's frantic calling by reaching the red oak door first. 

"Be gentle." Zed warned, catching up with me. Flashing him a mocking salute, I knocked. 

After what felt like ten minutes later, I heard the sound of shoes scraping. In a minute the door would open and I would silt their throat with a smile on my face. Zed really didn't think that I was going to spare them, did he? The sound was louder now, coming closer with purpose. 

Three, two one...

The door opened and all color drained from my face.

He didn't just...

Forcing the words out between my clenched teeth, I flashed her a charming smirk even when all I wanted to do was stare and endure the sight of her lookalike. 

"Hello, beautiful."

***

Hello, readers! Lex finally meets Lana as you can all see that he's shocked. Next chapter will be on Keira's POV. Vote, comment, & Enjoy!

The Reaper Saga [Book 1-3]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara