HELL HATH NO FURY

I wanted to run after Alexei.

To chase him down.

Make him listen.

But I struggled with my own sorrow, too deep to be buried with a shake of my head. No, it crawled inside my chest, making me choke on every breath I took. Just as I decided to lay on the bed to pretend I wasn't grieving, I paused, alarmed to find pain everywhere in my body.

Whimpering, I took one step only to fall on the floor with a crash.

"5132!"

My scream didn't take long to reach the younger one as not a second longer, she was rushing through the door with a panicked look on her face. "God! What happened!?"

"I can't..." My voice broke. "Pain, I can't breathe!"

"Hold on, just hold on to me, ok?" She pulled me up, grabbing the wall to keep her balance. As soon as my head touched the pillow, she was asking for help. 

"Allegra! Come here, quickly!"

Surprisingly, it took Allegra noticeably more time than 5132 to creep inside the room. I was just ready to tear my own skin off when I felt the presence of the Volkios. Even then, my vision blurred, past memories replacing the reality of my present.

"Gema, you don't look good. What happened?"

Gema looked up at me, her eyes filled with pure fear. "I tried everything I could. Yet they are going along with it."

My breath hitched. Gema didn't have to elaborate to let me know what it really meant. I was doomed. "W-We knew it was a long due. Hey, you did try and that's what matters."

"No, it doesn't!" Gema shook her head in despair. "Nothing about it is right! I don't believe it, it's just a silly prophesy. They are going to outright kill you. Why can't you see that? We need to fight, if we send letters to the Coven, they can help us!"

"A silly prophesy which I've been hearing about my whole life. The clan would never let us speak to the Coven." I scoffed, barely holding my tears at bay. 

"Emie, open your eyes!" I felt someone tap my cheeks, forcing me to acknowledge where I was. Pain still very much apparent in my body, I was surprised to see now both Allegra and Mikhail along with 5132 hovering over me with concern.

"What is he-"

5132 looked at me then, like she was the one in pain. "You passed out, Emie. Why do you love scaring us? After what happened, I can't bear any more loss. Definitely not you."

"It's not her fault, 5132." Mikhail came to my defense. "Besides, Lex has been in the same position. Must be the bond that's making her sick."

What?

My eyes widened. "What do you mean by Lex has been in the same position? Where is he!?"

Ignoring my misery, I tried to stand up but Allegra stopped me. "As long as I don't know what's wrong with you, I can't allow you to leave."

"It's Lex."

"I know. It's exactly why I don't think it's a good idea for you to meet him. He's acting a bit...strange." From her tone, it seemed like he wasn't acting strange, he just needed me beside him. Despite the warning, I wanted to run back to him. But the thought didn't linger too long before I was collapsing again.

"I want to talk to the Coven."

"You want to do what now?" The High Priest laughed, the other members in the meeting joining him. "I think my old age caught up to me. Say what you just said again, child."