BEACONING DEATH

I kept my gaze locked in the mirror and no matter how many times I tried to smile, I no longer could. It wasn't just the way I looked. I felt entirely different.

Numbness and bitterness now filled me to the core.

Even after a week, I couldn't just get over the betrayal. Not when the whole Coven was waiting for some kind of attack. They thought it had something to do with the demons but I knew better.

I had to know better.

"I need something distracting."

Allegra looked like I told her I wanted to birth a demon and that made me madder. "I know you are going to tell me to take it easy but I have. For the whole week, I've been cooped up in my room unless I had to eat. I want to change that."

"Impressing speech but I will have to say no."

"What, why!?" Really. What was her problem?

She lifted her fingers to count. "Because one: it might come as a surprise to you but I actually care whether you live or die. Two: lately it's the death part that's haunting you. Three: what kind of a Volkios would I be if I let you walk right into trouble?"

I was touched but if I stayed here for one more day, I was going to end up killing something.

"Allegra, you don't get it...I haven't been able to sleep lately. Every time I was reminded of what happened and I can't go through that pain again. I just need anything-"

"I am ready to leave-" 5132 shot through the door with a grin but the moment she saw me, it vanished. "What are you doing here? You should be in bed, resting."

Wait, leave?

I tried to smother my curiosity but failed miserably. "Where are you going?"

"Nowhere." Allegra spoke out before 5132 could. Now, that's sketchy.

"5132-" I warned, ripping a page out of Lex's books. "If you don't tell me now, I am going to tell your beloved that you are replacing your meds with candies ."

Her eyes widened. "You wouldn't dare!"

"I would."

I wouldn't but she never had to know that. Besides looks like it was working anyway. She looked at Allegra once and then back at me before I saw her crumble. "Fine! Allegra wants me to visit Colorado and look over a clan. They were attacked recently and they might be planning something for the demon who should have been swallowed in the first place."

A violent cough wracked through me. I knew she hated Demos to an extent too but I wasn't expecting her to say...that. Gulping down some water from Allegra's desk, I finally found my voice. "Why wasn't I told?"

"Because you would want to go...like now."

I couldn't disagree with it. "You know why, right? I was with him for years. I know his weaknesses but you guys refuse to let me help. You think I don't hear the news? The deaths? How's that fair?"

"She is right in a way. Let her help. Maybe we can finally put a nail into this bastard." I could sense 5132's words made difference to Allegra. Her frown lines disappeared and she truly stood up taller but there was still some hesitance by the way she stared at me.

"What if whoever attacked you back then-"

"They won't." I would make sure of that. Didn't matter if it was Lex or not.

"Fine." She said at least. "Follow me."

***

"Reapers."