WHAT YOU CAN'T TAKE BACK

DARKNESS

I leaned back against the leather couch cushions, my coat draped next to me and a glass of wine in my hands, looking relaxed for the first time in what seemed like a lifetime. If I wasn't sure that any more smugness would kick me out of the room, perhaps I'd even whistle. 

I was that happy.

And the reason for that was the hellfire near me.

Little soul.

Thanks, devil, she took her compulsion off. I didn't know what made her finally do it after an entire week of suffering, but all in all, I was happy that she was letting me see her at least. And I had the full intent to take that as an advantage. 

"What are you looking at?" She snapped when she noticed that I was staring at her for longer than ten minutes. Well, she did make me wait for seven days. Ten minutes wasn't going to hurt her anymore less. 

I gave her a careless shrug in answer.

"No seriously, what's your problem?" She stood up from the bed, only to stomp toward the balcony. I pulled a face as she dragged another chair along, the sound loud enough to feel like nails scraping across a chalkboard. "Now, tell me why on earth are you staring at me like that. Don't you have any shame?"

"Sorry to be a disappointment but I have none. Not when it comes to you." My answer brought another wave of scowl to her face but I wasn't intimidated. I was just amused.

"You are not who you say you are." She suddenly said leaning back on the chair, her face taking on a thoughtful expression. "When we first met, you told me that you were a warlock but I'm starting to think that there's more to it. Either you are lying or I'm missing something."

"Oh, look at you, little soul. Already excited to know more about me." I poured myself another glass of wine with a sarcastic smile.

She watched me in silence for a few moments. "Curious, yes. Excited, of course not. Besides, that's not why I asked."

I nodded in acknowledgment. "Then what made you curious about me?"

"I would like to know why you wanted my soul."

With a violent cough, the drink dribbled down my chin before I could stop myself. Shit. Whatever reaction she wanted from me, she might've got it exactly. 

"I knew somewhat what I saw was right." What the hell?

"What are you talking about, Emie?" Outside I looked poised as I threw the question at her but inside? Deep inside, I was cursing myself in every language I could ever remember learning. 

"I had nightmares. There you were asking for my soul. That's why I asked you. I thought I was going crazy but now I know it's true."

Bloody hell. She was remembering our first meetings. Deciding it was best to just tell her the truth now rather than being accused of lying again, I took a deep breath before looking at her. 

"Look...things were different when we first met. I was not in a good place." Literally. "And you were just learning how to cope with the betrayal of your people. You remember them, yes?" 

A hasty nod was the only thing I got but that was better than nothing. "Good, good. So you know what happened that night, don't you?"

"Partly, it all felt like a dream...a nightmare but I know what I saw-"

Almost immediately someone screamed, cutting her off. She was the one who got up first, not missing the sound along with those screams. There was chanting coming from downstairs. We both looked at each other confused as to what was happening but I didn't have to wonder any longer as I felt another presence around us.