Chapter 40: Will For Resolve

When Khadijah woke up it was well past seven, the first thing on her mind was prayer and with Sadiya’s help she performed ablution and when she was out, she saw a mat already spread and a hijab beside it, she repaid her missed prayers and sat on the prayer mat after that, she felt comfortable and didn’t want to stand up.

“Do you feel any pain?” Sadiya asked softly touching her forehead and neck to see if her temperature was back to normal, satisfied with what she felt she nodded when Khadijah whispered a no. Sadiya convinced her to get back on the bed saying the floor was cold.

“Why don’t you go home? You’re pregnant you should take care of yourself.” She said in a scolding voice.

“I’m fine.” She smiled.

Hajiya Ladidi entered the room seconds later with Abdulrahman closely behind, he held a food basket that made Khadijah automatically feel nauseous, just the thought of food made her sick and seeing the expression on her face her mother sent her a glare.

“I will force feed you if that’s what it will take to get you to eat.” Her mother threatened collecting the basket from her son in law and proceeded to open it “I made your favorite.”

Any other day, Khadijah would have salivated at the thought of pounded yam and egusi soup but at that moment she felt like a child again knowing she’ll probably be force fed whenever her mother made miyan kuka.

“Just eat small, I didn’t put much you see.” She kept the steaming plate beside Khadijah and took a seat on the single seat, the room was big since dr. Sakinah insisted she was taken to the VIP wing.

After taking two spoonfuls she kept the spoon but immediately picked it back up and forced another bite into her mouth when her mother made to stand up to make good on her threat.

“Sadiya why don’t you go and pick the children up and go home, it’s pretty late and you must be tired.” Hajiya Ladidi suggested when she was sure Khadijah was eating.

Sadiya turned to her husband with a pleading look, she didn’t want to leave just yet and her mother wouldn’t even consider her argument.

“Umma, we can stay for a bit, I’m sure the children are having fun and wouldn’t mind.” He smiled at umma who eyed him.

“Keep dancing to her tunes, she doesn’t have sense and you should consider getting her checked out, Basra is sick and she needs her mother and she’s also pregnant, she needs rest.” Hajiya Ladidi disregarded the fact that Sadiya was in the room, when he only scratched the back of his neck she shook her head with a small hiss and muttered under breath “Duk da yara basu da hankali,” (Even with children they still don't have sense)

Since she wasn’t exactly subtle about the comment, Khadijah laughed at the annoyed expression on her mother’s face.

“Dariya kike yi ko zaki cinye abincin nan.” (Are you laughing or will you finish that food?)She forced another spoonful into her mouth after that comment she was grateful when a nurse knocked and opened the door saving her from further scolding.

Dr. Sakinah walked in after the nurse with a smile on her face. They exchanged pleasantries with Hajiya Ladidi and Abdulrahman again.

Khadijah smiled at her when she asked how she was feeling a warm feeling overtaking her, She didn’t know why but she always felt at home in the woman’s presence, Layla had playfully told her it was because their skin was the same, it was true though, dr. Sakinah was beautiful with her dark skin and she didn’t look a day over forty.

“Your former doctor had your files sent and after having a look at it, we’ll take a few tests tomorrow and hopefully if everything is fine, you’ll be discharged at most in two days time,” Dr. Sakinah said after she checked her vitals.