15. Dress code and work ethics

Seated behind the large mahogany table clad in a grey tailored suit, he sighed for the millionth time and ran his hands through his now trimmed hair, he couldn't focus on the papers he was reading, he'd been stuck at one sentence for the past hour, he decided he wasn't going to be productive until he did what was on his mind.

Fahad dialed his secretary on the landline and as usual he knocked almost immediately. Isah, a twenty five year old man, very efficient in his work and minded his business.

"Cancel my meetings for the rest of the day" Fahad stated after the man announced his presence, he was just too polite.

"Okay sir" he was dismissed, he left the office just as quickly as he entered.

Fahad got up and buttoned his suit, he'd always hated wearing the suits, he claimed they were uncomfortable, he could easily show up to work in jeans and a button up shirt but after his father sat him down and lectured him on work ethics and professionalism, he stopped that, sure they had laughed at the formalities and everything, he still did the right thing, his father had asked, 'what if everyone decide to wear whatever they want on Monday?' he'd shook his head to get the hideous image of the receptionist in a very mini skirt out of his head, she threw herself at him every chance she got.

Fahad made a mental note to give him a raise when he saw his car already moved from the parking lot to the front of the building, he wouldn't have wanted to walk all the way to get the car, he collected the key from the guard who nodded in acknowledgement, he smiled and entered the car and zoomed off with one destination in mind. One of the reasons Fahad loved working with Isah was because he knew what to do without being told, it was like he knew the very next move he would want him to make and them he'd do just that.

<<<<<<>>>>>>

"Dee, how do I thank you for being so awesome?" Asma'u smiled widely at Khadijah who had a similar smile on her face.

"Just be happy and enjoy your wedding, you deserve it" she side hugged the emotional lady before making her way back to her office.

She closed her eyes and heaved a sigh, the dress was done and it came out perfect, exactly how she wanted it but she still didn't feel ease. She knew her mood for the past few days had nothing to do with her work but her mother's constant nagging, she'd been shoving Afnan's engagement in her face.

She wondered what had happened to the woman she loved as a child, the caring mother that would always pick her side when she would have an argument with Sadiya, one who would cook her favourite food even though her sisters didn't like it. When had the woman changed so much?

It sure didn't start just from her divorce, when she thought back to it, it had started when she hit puberty, it was like Hajiya Ladidi hated her growing up, like she wanted her to stay little forever, and then she was suddenly rushing her, wanting her to be grown as if to get it over and done with.

When she was in SS1 and 2, that was when it started, she threw any man her way like she couldn't wait to get rid of her, she remembered when she'd broken down in school and told Layla everything, she didn't want to get married that early in life, she had dreams she wanted to achieve.

Her father had stepped in and the pushing stopped, for a while at least, it was like she couldn't bear looking at her but much to her dismay, malam Sadeeq insisted she graduated university and then she could get married, and then Suleiman happened, she liked to think of him as one of the obstacles to her success, she hoped she would never have to see him again.

Tired of the depressing thoughts, she decided to call Baraka to pass time, she hadn't talked to her since when she'd called and congratulated her for the engagement.

"Aunty Khadijah?" Nanah, Baraka's last born asked after picking up, Khadijah smiled, Baraka had complained about them turning her phone to their private play thing, it didn't matter how many times their father bought hem kid iPads, they wouldn't stop.

"Nanah, where's your mum?"

"She is in the kitchen, should I take it to her?" Khadijah heard shuffling meaning she was getting up after she hummed a yes, she heard footsteps before her sister's voice sounded over the phone.

"Assalamu alaikum, sorry about this children, I told them to not pick my phone or answer my calls but it's like they don't hear a thing" she smiled at that and replied the salam, they exchanged pleasantries and all the formalities, they were both quiet for a few seconds before Baraka invited her to a picnic with her husband's family, she wanted to make up an excuse but Her sister knew her like the back of her hand, "whatever excuse you're trying to make right now, save it because I'll pick you up myself, you'll not do thirty minutes show face for me"

Khadijah groaned, now that everybody knew her style, they all were one step ahead of her.

"I'll try to get ready, any specific dress code?" she would never forget when she went to one of the family's picnics, she was in her first year in university and Baraka suggested it, she was still recovering from Layla leaving and they wanted her to have more friends so she agreed and went, she'd dressed casually in a flared atamfa gown, she sew it herself and she was proud because it was one of the first dresses she'd made completely by herself.

Imagine her shock when everyone else was wearing jeans and after dress, it was in style then and they all looked at her like an alien, they snubbed her and she ended up angry and depressed at the and of the day, she never got over it and neither was her strong dislike for her brother in-laws' siblings, they were too full of themselves.

"No dress code this time, you have to get over it at some point, besides they are mostly out of the country or not in the state, it's only Hibba and Amrah that are around then the boys, they'll not be in your hair I promise" she reluctantly agreed.

Juma'at Mubarak, hope y'all are good.

Happy independence in arrears, there's really not much to celebrate but heyyy were free aren't we?

Let me not disturb y'all, manage the very short chapter, i'm having a sort of writer's block and I'm feeling sick.

Please vote, comment and share. If you like this book please tell your friends about it.

Have a lovely weekend

Amyrah