Chapter 59: Courting

Assalamu alaikum, hope you've all been fine, first, thank you all for 21k reads, we didn't even reach chapter 60 , I'm so happy and as promised, it's a double update.

Vote comment and share.
Happy reading

••••••

Abubakar Barkindo stared at his first son with scrutiny, “You want to get married?” he asked again sure he heard wrong but Fahad nodded again.

“Why the sudden change of heart?” he analyzed him to make sure he wasn’t hallucinating.

Fahad knew that was the tricky question, his father knew him all too well to believe he changed his mind just like that after how many years?

“I know your mother has been on your back but Fahad this is a lifetime commitment I don’t want you to rush into it just because you feel your mother is pressurizing you.”

He has thought of all that all morning, after recovering from his multiple nightmares and the shooting that is, he weighed his options, it was a win-win situation for both of them. Sure he’d given up on love because he simply wasn’t capable of the emotion, Nai’a was just a friend even though a lot of people thought she was more, at a point he even convinced himself of that notion after her death and it took him a whole while to get over that guilt.

“I know but I’m sure,”

“Do you love her?” he was quiet for a moment not because he didn’t know the answer but because he knew his father would see right through him if he tried to lie, he needed to make it good enough if his father was going to believe him, his mother was a whole other issue, he would cross that bridge when he reaches it he decided.

“Baba,” he started but he stopped him by raising his hand.

“Fahad I know you’re old enough to make decisions on your own, I’ll have a background check on her and I’ll talk to your mother,” he nodded at that, it was good enough for him. “I really hope you know what you are doing.” He heard his father say when he was at the door, he nodded, he knew what he was doing……..he hoped anyways.

He met his mother on the way to the living room as he left, she smiled at him then left not saying a word, he shrugged knowing how she was.

He’d received his father’s message that his mother had given the go ahead and they’ll see where to go from there when he was on his way to see Dahlia, he stopped by Khadijah’s house and fortunately he met Malam Sadeeq returning from the mosque.

“Do I know you young man?” malam Sadeeq had asked after inviting him inside the house, to his living room most probably, it was then he realized that he has never been inside the house. A woman too young to be Khadijah’s mother but also shares a keen resemblance with Kamla and her eldest sister, he couldn’t recall her name brought refreshments for him and left immediately after.

“No sir erm yes we’ve met once.” He said wringing his hands together. He remembered they met at Sadiya’s house when Basra passed.

Malam Sadeeq studied him for a while before nodding when realization dawned on him, “Oh yes I remember” he said with a laugh, his eyes creased at the sides, something about that smile looked so much like his daughter when she smiled fully, you could see the joy radiate in her as they brighten, he only sees it when she was with one of the children. His heart gave a tug when he remembered how she looked when she told him about her daughter, her late daughter.

No, he was doing the right thing, he mentally assured.

“How can I help you? You’re a friend of Abdulrahman right?” his voice took a note of familiarity then, before he had been talking with friendly caution.