14. Broken

Khadijah buried herself in work after Sadiya left which was by five, the kids were back from school. Khadijah locked her room and decided to check out her orders and delivery dates, she needed one of the materials for Asma'u's wedding.

Asma'u, the face of Dee's couture, she had modeled for Khadijah when she'd opened her fashion house, she was pregnant at the time but it didn't stop her.

Up till date, Khadijah hadn't asked what happened between her son's Father and herself, she knew she was divorced but didn't ponder on it, somehow understanding and respecting the lady's situation.

Asma'u was getting remarried and she promised herself to design her dresses as a gift from all the employees, everyone loved her, they were putting their all into it which made even Khadijah's heart flutter, she did deserve the best and her son Ayaan did too, they didn't deserve whatever it was his father did, because as far as she knew the man was never in their lives.

The adhaan being called made her drop her phone, the gadget was more of a answer phone calls and reply messages machine, that was the only thing she did with it.

Her phone rang almost immediately after she said the salam, she ignored the call and said her duas, whoever it was could wait.

"Khadijah, come and take your father's dinner to him" a knock sounded followed by her aunt's request, more like order, with a sigh she got up not removing her hijab and made for the kitchen.

Two of her mother's sisters were seated gisting, which is just gossiping about other people. She picked the grey colored warmer and arranged it on a tray with a serving plate spoon and cup and left the kitchen not bothering to look at them. Like she knew, they changed the topic to her life making snide comments, nothing she wasn't used to.

For as long as Khadijah knew herself, her mother's family had never liked her, only her late grandmother, the woman was an angel but the rest, they hated her guts for whatever reason, always calling her her father's daughter, she'd thought it was because she looked like him, a dark version of him but so did Sadiya, she looked more like him because she was fair, the only difference between her and her sister was their complexion and eyes, but like everything else in her life, she got used to it and it didn't faze her anymore, they could run their mouths like taps, she wouldn't bat an eyelash to that.

"Assalamu alaikum" her father's serene voice answered, she carefully pushed the door open with her leg because of the tray she was holding and entered, he was sat on the two seater in his living room, she slowly walked in and kept the tray on a stool in front of him, he closed the book he was reading and took off his reading glasses assessing his daughter.

"Baba should I serve it?" her voice brought him out of his reverie and he smiled and shook his head no.

She was about to leave when he called her back and asked her to sit on the three seater, the only other chair in his room.

"How are you?" it was a simple question but it conveyed many messages.

Sadeeq Hussein had always been a careful father, with his work and busy schedule, he'd tried to be there for all his children, almost all of them, he was the kind of father you were proud of, the type you dreamed of having, strict but that didn't stop how amazing he was.

He was hurt with his daughter's divorce rather than being disappointed, not many May know but Khadijah was the most patient between her siblings, she was mouthy and stubborn but she was understanding, she'd always had the mentality of giving people benefit of the doubt, a beautiful character she'd possessed.