Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Practical work

    Once the Archbishop learned that he digested the potion of sequence 9 of the white tower Pathway, he was offered a crinkled eye, warm smile, and a word of congratulations.

" I'm happy for you, Yareth. "

Surprise, he could only nod and focus on eating and avoid the feelings of uncertainty and awkwardness with the Archbishop. The dinner was a quiet affair. Yareth wasn't certain of the stance of the Archbishop regarding his advancement.

But a week later when Mister Connor started teaching him other things other than ritual magic and Beyonder lessons, Yareth did learn that his worries of advancement being blocked by them were unfounded. It was the opposite. The Archbishop, Mister Connor, and maybe, the Church of the God of Knowledge and Wisdom was encouraging him on advancement.

Mister Connor started teaching on learning how to fight. Various forms of hand-to-hand combat and martial arts. Both of them disguised as Heinz and his real form as Yareth. The latter was in the Archbishop's private combat room and within not the sight of any other servant than Amela.

Fighting as himself was hard. Considering that he was a child. He was so little and small that he worries that once he fought with someone who was also a Beyonder like him, with certainty he feel that he would lose to his opponent. The white tower Pathway wasn't also geared towards combating. It was the omniscient not omnipotent. Close combat wouldn't be his forte. But despite that, Yareth knows that it wouldn't be bad to learn close combat. As Heinz, he could use it more efficiently and has a chance of fighting back.

Other than close combating, one day, Yareth didn't expect Mister Connor to hand him a revolver. Yareth can only look at it blankly and stare at Mister Connor with a dumbfounded expression.

" If only it was possible if we have something appropriate for the size of your little hands in your original form, would you be more comfortable with that? "

After the expression of surprise and shock, Yareth shook his head. Closing his eyes, he reminiscence the memories of his past life. He opened his eyes again and check if the revolver has any bullets loaded inside it. There are bullets inside them. Six rounds of ammunition bullets in the chamber of the barrel. He doesn't know what expression Mister Conner was wearing when he raised the revolver and had it pointed straight through the distance.

He saw the target board for the darts in the combat room. Yareth cocked the hammer and pulled the trigger of the revolver.

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang

Six sounds resounded inside the combat room. Yareth relaxed his stance as he saw the bullets pierced through the target board that was usually used for darts. He glance at Mister Conner who was staring at him with an indecipherable expression on his face.

" I didn't know that you know how to use a revolver. "

Yareth stared at Heinz's two palms for a moment that has gained a bruise before saying.

" My second brother Dmitri's hobby was playing with his guns. "

Yareth said to Mister Conner as he remembered his second brother in this current life, Dmitri Castiya. Yareth has seen and encountered his second brother. It wasn't every day or very frequent. But at least that Yareth was certain that it was at least 7 times every month. His second brother wasn't outright hostile to him. His brother Dmitri was dismissive of him and more than likely to ignore his presence in proximity. It was like Yareth didn't exist in his presence at all.

It hurts. But unlike his other older siblings, at least it wasn't outright hostile. Yareth has even managed to watch his brother Dmitri do his hobby on the Castiya castle grounds because his second brother didn't bother to tell him that his presence disgust him or that he wanted him gone. Watching his brother practice his shooting skills in various types of guns is one of the things that he likes to do when it wasn't his study time or when their mother wasn't particularly inclined to care for him and ask of his presence.

Mister Connor slightly inclined his head as he said those words. He gave his hand stretched out and Yareth gladly passed the revolver to him.

" 5 missed shots and 1 pierced through the target board. I was impressed. Tomorrow, we will do this again. "

" Okay, Mister Conner. "

After the practice session that day, the next days were filled with Yareth in the routine of going to the Academy of Wisdom and Knowledge, then Mister Conner would teach him hand-to-hand combats or martial arts. And after that was that he would hand him the revolver and practice his shooting as Heinz. When all of that is finished, Mister Conner would escort him to Minder Owls and do his job of assisting in all of the paperwork with Miss Abigail and Mister Hobbs. Sometimes, he would witness the clients enter the building. Commonly it was for menial investigation jobs, a normal crime scene, and then an investigation job that was associated with Beyonders.

Yareth slowly improved day after day. He also didn't mind anymore that they were willing to teach him how to fight and hand him a revolver and how to use them. Even he was a little unusual for his age and look like a child. But maybe, it was some of Yareth's perception and things that he learned from his past life memories that weren't used on what was considered normal in this world. It was maybe considered normal for a child Beyonder like him to learn how to protect or defend himself. Considering that once he died, he would leave out a Beyonder ingredient and it would be useful for someone. Yareth considered the possibility of having that kind of unsightly type of person in this world. Knowing that this is a world of madness, the possibility of that kind of person is high. Yareth was grateful that Mister Conner was willing to teach him.