Chapter 19

Chapter 19: The unknown man

   August 1, 1349. Wednesday in the morning. Lenburg Capital– Azshara Region.

    Within one of the high-class restaurants in Azshara, Abigail, Hobbs, and Yareth are currently sitting in one of the reserve seats on the restaurant. Abigail was fiddling with her necklace as she waited. Hobbs on the other hand was currently eating Feynapotter noodles. A food that resembles the classic spaghetti that was very famous across the world and it could be considered to be one of the most classic noodle dishes. Meanwhile, Yareth was drinking Fermo Coffee. It was expensive to common folks since it comes from a high-quality coffee bean. And it was also originally from Paz valley on the star highlands of the Southern Continent.

Yareth has taken leave on the academy of wisdom and knowledge after asking permission from the dean of the academy and the professors. The three of them today were free from any troubles of bureaucracy that has to do with the paperwork. Yareth was confused why they are here in this place. The only thing that he knows was that Mister Conner has asked him to take permission for absence from the Academy on this particular day. And that their Captain Victor Farrows has sent them here in the restaurant while mentioning that their vice-captain Lisa was sent on a mission outside of Lenburg. She was with the other members from the division of Minder Owls while they are also accompanied by some members of the elite militia of the church of the God of Knowledge and Wisdom– the enlightened ones.

Aside from Abigail and Hobbs who don't look particularly worried about what they are doing in this place, Yareth was the only one who was clueless about the current situation. Mister Hobbs has also been ordering food after food for quite some time and Miss Abigail was fiddling with her necklace since she said that she couldn't eat more food anymore and it would be unhealthy for her to eat more. Yareth knows that she was on a diet and she didn't want to get a fat base on what she told him.

" Mister Hobbs, could I ask what are we doing here? "

Hobbs paused on slurping his Feynapotter noodles and wiped the sauce on his lips with a handkerchief for a moment before answering.

" Well, it would be good for you to learn later. Don't be impatient Heinz. You should wait since it is a tradition! "

Yareth frowned at the answer. He wasn't satisfied with the answer. But since it is a tradition, then it must be some sort of initiation that the members of Minder Owls must go through.

After a while, they could footsteps coming in the direction of the private reservation, Yareth stared at the person was surprised to rise to find that it was Mister Jasper. Sequence 7 of Wheel of Fortune. During his time in the Minder Owls, Yareth knows that he usually accompanies Miss Lisa on her missions. He was always on her side. It was surprising to find that he wasn't accompanying her.

Behind him, there was another person. The man was a bro brown-chairperson with amber eyes. Just like everyone, he fashioned himself in the standard style of this era. A vest tucked in a shirt. But what was unusual on him was a long white coat. Like what would someone usually associate with scientists? To Yareth's confusion, Mister Hobbs and Miss Abigail were frowning and looking at the man with surprised expressions on their face.

Jasper and the unknown man eventually made their way to their table. They sat at the remaining empty chair which was on the opposite side. Facing them, Jasper stared at them.

" I apologize if we made you waste some time. "

His eyes flickered then at Hobbs who was eating and Yareth's cup of coffee.

" But.. I am certain that we didn't waste your time when you are eating and enjoying yourselves. "

Yareth doesn't know if he should continue sipping his coffee or be mortified. On the other hand, Mister Hobbs has managed to finish his last slurp of Feynapotter noodles before he started asking.

" So... This is unusual that we would have a reservation in a famous and expensive restaurant. The seats and the table are reserved for us. But the food that we have eaten, will it be covered by the Mysterious benefactor? "

He then stared at the unknown man and asked.

" Are you our mysterious and benevolent benefactor? "

To Hobbs's surprise, the unknown man faintly smiled and shook his head.

" I apologize. I admit that I am a well-off person. Yet, I wouldn't willingly splurge myself to this kind of thing. I prefer keeping things effective, practical, and simple. "

" I see. "

Hobbs said and stared at Jasper. Then the latter sighed and stared at Yareth.

" It was his grandpa. "

Both Hobbs and Abigail stared at Yareth for a moment before chuckling. Meanwhile, Yareth feels awkward by their stares and is unused to his unusual new background.

" Anyway, since the matter regarding whose paying who or if being in this place is free or not, we shall discuss the elephant in the room, shall we? "

Hobbs and Abigail slightly inclined their head. Yareth's attention was on the unknown man. As in on cue, the unknown man then introduced himself.

" I am Horace Haydn. I was also a Beyonder like you. "

Yareth noted that the man has a nice and warm voice. It sounds soothing. But he also notices the distinguishable accent coming from the man. An accent that was different from the people living here in the country of Lenburg. Yareth was familiar with the accent of the people from the Feynapotter Kingdom. But his accent bore no similarity to the people of the Kingdom.

Before Yareth could devolve fully on deciphering the origin of Horace, and somehow finding his last name odd and feeling something strange, Jasper started speaking.

" Hobbs, Abigail, it would be different this time. "

" Oh, we wouldn't investigate murder cases or look inside the bodies of the corpses? "

Abigail asked Jasper. Meanwhile, Yareth was looking at them with confusion while also feeling terrified. His mind was already thinking of several scenarios with the words that Miss Abigail has said.

Jasper shook his head at the question.

" No, your assignment without being saddled with the paperwork was assisting our special guest Sir Horace Haydn, a pious member, and believer of the Church of the God of Steam and Machinery. "