Chapter 21

AN: delving into the forums of Lord of the Mysterious in Reddit, I found out some interesting information about book 2 of Lord of the Mysteries. Is it true that the main setting of the Book 2 is Lenburg? And the story happens during the War before Mister Fool went to slumber? Hopefully, once the book comes out in 2022 I wouldn't do much editing in all of the errors that I made. (Or I should just put an Alternate Universe tag to this just in case?)

Chapter 21: Sequence 8

5th Epoch
August 5, 1349 (Sunday) - Azshara- Lenburg Capital

   The Minder Owls has been saddled with the very eccentric Beyonder from the Church of the God of Steam and Machinery for a few days. It was an order from the higher-ups of the church so Victor has no choice to refuse the order even he wanted to. After meeting Horace, he decided to ask Jasper to take care of him who eventually decided that he also doesn't want to be saddled with taking care of the eccentric Beyonder and passed the job to what they have called the "paper hell" group of their militia. Just like the previous cases, Abigail and Hobbs don't want anything to do with the eccentric Beyonder from the other Church. They wanted to give up. They have already enough of the paperwork. But adding the Beyonder from the Church of the God of Steam and Machinery is a bit too much on their worries and problems. As long as Horace Haydn didn't stop spouting about his charms and bizarre theories, sooner or later, they felt that they would lose control and fall into the madness. But thankfully, they didn't take the full brunt of attention of the eccentric Beyonder. The dubious honor goes to their newest member, Heinz Von Jaeger. Orphan child of a noble from the Feynapotter Kingdom, one of the current most promising students in the Academy of Wisdom and Knowledge, and grandson of Archbishop Alvis. They would pray to the God of Knowledge and Wisdom for him to maintain his sanity, reason, and logical thinking. Hopefully, he wouldn't fall into the eccentric Beyonder's dubious and ridiculous ideas.

They have been saddled with the eccentric beyonder for 1 month so that the deal between the two churches would be fulfilled. They just needed to endure and there would be new mystical items from the Church of the God of Steam and Machinery. Uphold the deal, and they would get their sweet sweet reward.

---------------------

It was true that Mister Horace was eccentric. But after a while and a few days, Yareth got used to him and his eccentric presence. It couldn't be better or it could be worse. Yareth prefers to choose the former than the latter. At first, he found him overwhelming with his nonstop murmuring about charms. He was like your stereotypical madman scientist that he have seen from the memories of his past life. It was overwhelming and uncomfortable at first. But he learned how to deal with the Beyonder from another Church.

He doesn't know if Frank Lee was better or worse than Mister Horace Haydn. Yareth thought that he must be understanding a little bit of minuscule pain and headache that the Admiral went through because of her very eccentric and horrifying subordinate.

Other than staying at the Minder Owls to babysit Mister Horace as their mission and Yareth's first mission, Mister Horace also ended up staying in the Academy of Wisdom and Knowledge. He was introduced as a temporary professor in the school that came from another country. Mister Horace didn't appear to be bothered by the fact since he was also a professor in the Intis. He also passingly mentioned the fact that his grandfather was also a professor like him. His grandfather wasn't a professor in Intis but the Loen Kingdom.

Mister Horace ended up cooped up in the library of the academy. He read book after book hoping to find something useful and come up with wonderful ideas. Now and then, Mister Horace would end up asking for his opinion. He has no idea how he manage to endear himself to the eccentric beyonder, but he was regretting it.

Yareth's only solace this past few days was going home to the Archbishop's manor and the time that he spent with Mister Connor for new lessons. Close combat lessons, studying different kinds of weapons, another new ritual magic, etc.

When Yareth arrived for the new lesson under the guidance of Mister Connor, he didn't expect the smell of something foul when he arrived at the very wide and spacious room designed for practice. After glancing at what Mister Connor was doing, he decided to close the door. Yareth could feel nervousness and excitement building up within him as he slowly approached the sequence 4 Beyonder.

" Good, you are here. "

Said Mister Connor while he didn't even look back at Yareth who scrunched up his nose. Being nearer to the proximity of the object makes it much worse. How can Mister Connor endure the foul smell?

Yareth then watched as Mister Connor brewed the concoction. A few minutes while enduring the smell, he watched as Mister Connor place it on a flask. Yareth wore a complicated expression on his face. The doubts that didn't disappear have eased. But he can't also believe that this was happening.

Even he complained about the smell, Yareth would still take the opportunity to become stronger.

" The Archbishop guaranteed that it would be alright for you to drink the potion at this time. You have already digested the potion of Sequence 9, he just extend it for some time to make sure before you advance so you wouldn't suffer the consequences. "

Yareth stared at the potion. He wanted to survive. He knows how dangerous and would be dangerous this world would become. But he still can't believe that they would willingly give him the things that he needed to advance. It was different. He thought inside his mind. He can feel a lump forming around his thought. Not now, the possibility of losing control would be high if he started talking about those things now.

" A useless waste. "

" I wonder why did older brother decide to beg for your life? "

" A lot of potions go to waste because of you. "

" No matter how many potions would you drink, you are just useless and ordinary trash. "

Yareth felt a hand on his shoulder. He raise his head and stared at Mister Connor.

" We can always do it the next day if you aren't prepared. "

A chuckle came out of Yareth as he heard those words.

" The potion is already concocted. I wouldn't let it go to waste. "

" What a waste. "

" We can have prepared for another. "

Mister Connor said. As if the matter regarding finding the ingredients and the rules about the Beyonders doesn't worry him at all.

" No. "

Yareth said while he shook his head. A few moments later, Mister Connor let out a sigh.

" Remove the necklace, we can't have you in disguise and wearing the mystical item while you drank the potion. "

Yareth nods his head a little bit and removes his disguise. From being Heinz, he went back to himself. A seven-year-old kid with odd snow-white hair and ice-blue eyes. Mister Connor handed him the potion and Yareth accepted it. Before drinking it, Mister Connor looks at him with a serious face.

" I will watch over you. "

And kill him once he loses control and mutates into some kind of horrifying and gross monster was what left unsaid. Yareth pinched his nose. And gulped down the potion in one go. On the next advancement, if he was successful in this one, he hoped that the next potion wouldn't smell foul anymore.