-----~❁

Theo

--❁--

Crazy how much words can affect someone. Winnie simply said she missed me and I've not been able to stop myself from smiling every time I think back to it as we fly back to South Haven. Lincoln is my usual buddy when we travel, for both hotels and planes. But I think he regrets it now because every time he catches me smiling like a fool, he gets this look of despair as he situates himself away from me.

I don't know how he notices considering he's focused on his newest crossword book. I don't know who he finishes them with, but he fills in across spaces only leaving the down spaces empty. One time when I asked about it, he just shrugged saying he could never understand the clues for the down ones. 

So I chalked it up to him probably having someone else filling them out for him. That someone might've been a snarky redhead much like her brother. I might've seen her sliding one of these into her bag one day, but I wasn't going to poke my nose into their business.

"Dude, I will request a change of travel buddy if you don't quit it." Lincoln bumps my shoulder with his own as he fills in another set of boxes.

I smirk, "One day, you'll understand." I stretch a little as a yawn escapes, "Besides, cut me some slack. We just got off two really huge wins and Winnie even used multiple hockey terms when she explained one of the goals I made." I lean forward to catch his eye, "Plus she might've mentioned your insane saves."

He doesn't even glance at me, but the small tilt of his mouth gave him away. "What'd she say?" He asked as he filled out another answer.

I lean back, feeling the weight of the plane shift. A voice over the intercom said to fasten seatbelts and to begin preparing for our arrival. Reaching over I opened the cover on the window to see us getting closer to the ground, "Oh you know, she did use the word robbed once and said how exciting the game must be from your eyes." I groan as a sudden realization comes to me, "Does this mean she's going to be watching you the whole time?"

Lincoln chuckles as he stores his crossword book into his carryon. "I like her." The plane jostles a little as we touch the runway.

I smile again, glancing back out the window, "Yeah me too."

--❁--

"Okay," Seb says as he sits down across from me. "So let me get this straight. Liam is a complete ass who used Jules as a way to get Winnie's attention?" He eyes me, but then glances at Knox who nods.

"It's a little more in depth than that, but if you want a simple explanation for your simple mind," Knox says as he bites into a donut. "Then yep. That's exactly what happened."

We were currently at Knox's as our usual stop right after we get back from away games. It was almost 8 am and I didn't want to wake Winnie quite yet. I already knew she wasn't a morning person from our two afternoon wake ups, so I wasn't going to chance it by going to her place quite yet.

"Huh," Lincoln pauses, "How is Jules?"

"She's better. She texted me yesterday about how much of a terrible move I almost made and said I was dumb for taking a risky shot." I rolled my eyes, "But she did say congrats on the goal."

Our family obviously had questions, but she pleaded with everyone to wait until later tonight when we got together for dinner. Julianna was exhausted and I couldn't blame her for needing a little space from everything. Liam's family had been a bit upset, but after Monday they hadn't said much.

"And Winnie?" Seb asked, he was being much more serious than I was used to. "She seemed all smiles on the facetimes, but she did space out a bunch. My mom mentioned that my aunt did that a lot." Sebastian may be this happy, go-lucky guy who was a crowd favorite for his mic'd up sessions. His chirps managed to get under even the players who were known for being at ease on the ice. But Seb had probably the worst family issues of us all. He enjoys hockey because it gives him a reason to never visit and the only reason he even thinks about visiting is because of his mom.

I sigh, "I asked her about it and she would just smile, saying that she was just thinking." I eyed the donut in front of me. "I'm going to drop in to see her after this."

"Hmm." Parker nodded as he bit into his second donut, "Ana, these donuts never get old."

She laughs as she packs donuts into boxes. Mrs. Campbell was currently packing up donuts for us to take to our families as well as giving them to some of the neighbors. Ever since she retired, she's been taking up little hobbies...one being the best donut maker in South Haven.

Her fall was a bit over a month ago, but there were times where I could see a strain between Knox and her. Knox was still keeping something under lock and key, but he couldn't keep his worry at bay. I could see it in the way he would glance at her as she'd walk about the kitchen, sitting on the edge of his chair. He was prepared for her to fall again.

"You'll let me know if she's okay, right?" Seb mutters as he stands, Mrs. Campbell hands him a box with a soft smile.

I eye him as he bends down to give her a hug, "Seb if you want to come-"

He chuckles, "Nah. You two enjoy your time together, Cade. I'll get to see her later today anyways." Seb pulls on his jacket and then turned to exit the room, "See ya." He throws a peace sign up as he leaves.

The room stays silent as we wait for him to fully leave. The sound of the front door opening and closing echoes throughout the house. Parker breaks the silence first, "Well, I think I should get going. I have an errand to run real quick." He grabs his stuff and gives a quick hug to Knox's mother as well before he leaves.

"Do you think he's going to go see-"

"Jules always goes for an early morning run and I imagine Parker knows her routes by now." I mumble around the donut that I had almost forgotten about. Knox nods as Linc and him exchange glances. I swallow hard as I examine both, "What?"

They both shrug as they go back to their own donuts, picking around the edges. I eyed them, but I lean back as a box is set in front of me. Knox's mom, Isla, stands before me. Her eyes as soft as the smile that she gives me. "This is for that sweet girl of yours." Isla gives me a playful glare as she sets her hands on her hips, "And I'll ask her at the dinner tonight to make sure you didn't steal any." I laugh as I place a hand on the box, nodding, "Of course, Isla. I would never dream of upsetting either of you." 

She laughs as she walks back to center island to begin working on a different series of food, humming something as she worked. Isla looked healthy and I wondered how heartbreaking it must be to have seen someone who looked like this begin to struggle. I couldn't wrap my head around it and I felt my mood drop as my thoughts went to the pain that my best friend must be going through.

I hiss though as a food collides with my shin. My eyes flickering to Knox's, heat behind them as I reach down to rub at my leg. "Quit your thinking. Nothing good ever comes from it." Knox glares at me over the edge of his mug, "Also, you did invite Winnie to the dinner tonight right?" 

I nod and then stop as I realize that maybe I might have just imagined asking her. My mind reels over the possibility that maybe I didn't ask, but I was almost certain I did. "I think so..."

"Uh oh," Linc tsks as he takes another bite from his donut, he's shaking his head as he looks at me with pity, "Not even a full month into this relationship and you're already fucking it up."

"Language." Isla mutters pulling smiles from all of us.

"Might as well get going." Knox nods to the door, "You should grovel now so that Winnie will still want to go to dinner."

I stand, shaking my head as I begin to gather my stuff, "Please. Me? Groveling? I'm pretty sure I asked. Besides why would I need to grovel anyways? She'd know it was simple mistake." I go to give Isla a hug and then give a quick wave to the two remaining. Flipping off Linc who mutters about a condom.

--❁--

enjoy.

xoxo,
happiness