-------~❁

Theo

--❁--

A gasp came from behind me along with a bunch of breaths being sucked in as footsteps faltered. Julianna choked on a sob as she eyed Parker, but hearing the gasp caused their eyes to flicker to us. Parker cursed under his breath as he took in everyone. Julianna's face contorted to one of pain and she started to walk our way, Parker reached for her but she just brushed him off.

I turned knowing who the gasp was and reached for Winnie, but she shook head. Winnie stepped back and turned to walk past all the people who were gathered. None of them grabbed her to stop her, but they all loved to stare at her as she passed. I felt anger rise in my chest as I turned back to Parker, "You couldn't keep your mouth shut, huh? Winnie wanted time before mentioning it."

Parker's mouth opened and closed several times, but I didn't care enough to hear him out at the moment. I began to make my way after Winnie, but Seb's hand closed around my arm, harshly pulling me back.

"You said she was getting better." He hissed, his eyes narrowing on me. "How could you keep this from me when you kno-?"

I pulled my arm back and glared at him, "Don't you start with me, Seb? I don't think you want to go there right now."

I could feel the heat behind the many eyes that followed me as I pushed out of the winery, looking around for Winnie. My eyes finally met her figure which was by the fountain slightly hidden by the arch that led into the garden area.

I made my way to her and dropped to kneel in front of her, placing my hand on her knee which bounced uncontrollably. "Benji-"

"It wasn't fine after all, huh?" She laughed around her sobs as she brushed at the tears that fell down her face. She was trying to give me a smile, but it came out more like a cringe. "I guess everyone knows now, so you don't have to hold onto it anymore."

I smile softly, "I'm sorry, Benji. I told Parker not to say anything."

She pouts a little and leans into me, wrapping her arms around my neck. Her breath hits my neck and I sigh as the smell of Winnie overtakes me.

"Winnie, right?" I heard a woman ask from behind us. I glanced to see Mrs. Denver was standing there, her coat on now as she fumbled with her bag a little. Winnie peers around me at the lady and nods. "I'm Veronica Denver. Liam's mother." Winnie cringed a little at the mention of Liam, "I wanted to apologize for what my son did. I hope you know I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I-I" She tried to calm herself, but tears were pouring as she tried to piece together the right words.

"It's fine-" Winnie began.

"No!" Mrs. Denver sends Winnie a stern look, "Don't allow this to be brushed off. Things like this should never be something that is just fine." She wiped at her face, "I wanted you to know that Liam asked for us to send bail, but I refused. I wanted to talk to you about charges you wanted to be pressed, or anything I can compensate you for. I heard about the destruction of property as well. Please," She walked closer, her hand resting on Winnie's shoulder, "Anything you need from us. I will do my best to fix as much as I can."

Winnie sends her a reassuring smile, "I understand how you must be feeling Mrs. Denver." She leans her head against my shoulder, "But I'd prefer if I could get some peace over this instead. I really do appreciate the thoughts though and I hope you know I don't put any blame on you." I rubbed her back, knowing she probably needed the reassurance at the moment.

Mrs. Denver seemed surprised and stood up straight as she studied Winnie for a moment before nodding. "Okay. I'll respect your wishes. I hope you are surrounded by people who will be here with you through this. It was nice to meet you, Winnie. Just wish it wasn't under these circumstances." Mrs. Denver collected herself and turned, "Have a nice night you two."

Just like that, she was gone.

Winnie sighed, "I'm hungry. Maybe they've forgotten already..." She mumbled, "Do you think they'll still have dinner?"

I chuckled, pulling her up, tucking her under my arm. "Let's go check it out and if they've decided to cancel the dinner, then I'll get you whatever you want."

"Only for tonight?" She asks as we push through the door back into the warmth of the winery.

"Tonight. Tomorrow. Till the end of time." I promise.

--❁--

enjoy.

xoxo,
happiness