13. Part 1

Travis Swanson-

I smiled, knocking on her dorm, holding a sunflower in my hand.

It was small, it wasn't a boquet, but it reminded me of her.

She opened the door and I stared, my heart racing.

She wore a high rise, tight, black and white almost plaid skirt, a white long sleeve shirt with a jacket over top.

Her light brown hair was done in a messy bun with light mascara setting her blue eyes on fire.

"It's too cold for a dress. So I'm wearing warm tights under." She laughed, but I was still fascinated with her.

"I-I didn't have time to uhm, get you a boquet, because I didn't know what you'd like. But I got you a flower than reminds me of you." I cleared my throat and she looked at it smiling.

"I love it." She took it from my hands so gently as she looked at the small flower.

It wasn't a big one, it was mini, it was holdable.

"I remind you of a sunflower?" She asked, smirking, making the dimple in her left cheek deepen.

"Yes." I nodded, about to have a stroke.

"Let's go?" She asked.

I nodded, stepping aside.

"You look very handsome." She mumbled as she locked the door and I could do a fucking cartwheel with the adrenaline high I felt.

"T-thanks." I unzipped my jacket slightly.

"The sidewalks melted down a lot." I noticed.

"It's good, I'm not wearing good shoes for ice." She laughed.

I opened the passenger door for her as she got inside.

I got in my side, starting the car.

I watched as she stared at the sunflower.

"What are we doing?" She asked.

"Well, I was thinking,"

I put on the heat.

"I was thinking, I'd take you out to eat, get you fed, then I was going to take you shopping to Barnes & Nobles because they're doing book blind dates. Then I brought my guitar and since the snow was melted off the benches and sidewalks we could sit on a bench after I get you hot chocolate and I can play you any song you'd wanna hear." I looked at her and her pupils were dilated, her mouth gaped, her eyes wide and unblinking.

But then I noticed them watering.

"Did I say something?" Panic filled me and a small smile broke her face.

"That's perfect." She croaked, swallowing hard.

"Are you sure? Why are you crying?" I turned my body to face her better and she chuckled.

"Because you're perfect." She sighed, wiping her eyes with her fingers, careful to not ruin her makeup.

"Oh, are you sure that's all?" I asked and she sniffled.

"Yeah. That's it." She nodded, smiling at me in the sweetest way.

"Okay." I nodded, buckling myself.

My heart pounded, I took a deep breath before starting the car.

I began driving, trying not to get distracted by Hailey. But it was hard.

She was beautiful and curious, she looked amazing, I could smell her and it was hard to describe but it's a smell only she had and it was incredible.

I felt very fortunate.

"Can I hold your hand?" She asked and I looked at her for a split second.

I put my elbow on the arm rest, my palm resting upward.

Immediately her hand found mine, intertwining our fingers.

"Do hand tattoos hurt?" She asked.

"Sometimes. The wrist is the worst." I mumbled and she moved my jacket sleeve down to see my wrist.

"What are the Roman numbers for?" She asked.

"Olivia." I mumbled.

"Is it her birthday?" She wondered.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"You miss her?"

"Terribly." I sighed.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

"Don't be, I'll see her again soon." I shrugged.

She pulled our hands into her lap, tracing my knuckles and my veins, periodically pushing down on my veins.

"Whats that for?" I asked.

"They're squishy." She told me, opening her hand to push our hands closer together and my stomach was trembling with excitement.

I laughed.

"I'm assuming this is your first date?" She asked.

"It is." I nodded.

"May I ask why you haven't dated or anything?" She asked.

"So when I have these chances they feel special." I mumbled.

"First kiss?" She asked.

"Nothing." I shook my head.

"How? You're so pretty?" She looked at me.

I laughed.

"Attractive people don't always kiss people whenever they want to. I know I could've, I could've perused a lot of people and done a lot of things but it comes down to my own expectations of myself. Not judging anyone else." I shrugged.

"Does it bother you if I'm different?" She asked.

"Meaning?" I wanted to know what exact I'm responding to.

"I mean, I've kissed someone, I've been in one relationship and only did the deed one time. So I'm not too experienced. But I have no firsts to really give." She looked at me.

"And that's okay. You're a 20 year old girl. You were a teenager, it doesn't bother me." I shook my head.

"Although it was literally awful." I could feel the ick rolling off her.

"May I have a story time?" I asked.

"8th grade. I was stupid and desperate. His name was Jordan. First red flag, we dated till freshman year and broke up, he was my first kiss. Then when I was a junior I went to a party, got wasted and had sort of forced sex with him." She looked at me and I felt my jaw tick.

"Sort of forced?" I parked in the parking lot of the restaurant.

"Well, I didn't push him off but I told him I didn't want it." She shrugged.

"Wow. Uhm, Hailey love, that's forced. Not pushing him off is a trauma response common in girls out in this situation. But that's not 'sort of' forced. That's legit force." I studied her face and she looked like something clicked.

"Well, after that I assumed sex would always feel like that so I've refused to do anything with anyone." She told me.

I took a minute, feeling slightly angry, but at the situation. That she had no idea.

"Sex isn't that. I may have never had it but sex is good, it's supposed to feel good, and that's just awful." I shook my head.

"Yeah. I'm sorry if that was a downer." She told me.

"Don't be sorry, I want to know everything about you. But I'm glad we cleared that up. I swear to never force myself on you, I don't operate like that." I told her and she smiled.

"I believe you."

"Ready to eat?" I asked.

"I am."