14. Melody

Hailey Aspen-

"A penny." I pointed.

He squatted down.

"No it's on tails! It's bad luck." I frowned.

He turned it over, standing back up.

"Now whoever has it next can have good luck." He told me and my heart sank into my ass.

That literally confirmed the feelings I did have for this man.

I wanted to cry, to kiss the ground, to yell my joy to the sky. This was a dream.

There was no way, Travis Swanson could be perfect.

Not this early.

But I didn't even have a bad gut feeling.

It was weird.

"You should show me all the books you have." He told me and I frowned.

"I don't know-"

"Porn?" He smiled.

"Excuse me?" I blinked, my face red.

"Come on Hailey, I literally read your favorite book. I can envision your squeamish embarrassment. And I looked at the whole Bookstagram and Booktok and Booktube. It's a trend." He nodded.

"Yeah. That's why I don't wanna show you." I laughed, embarrassed but not too much.

"My question is, why the naked men on the covers?" He looked at me.

"Exactly! Like what if I wanna read this when I'm out and about? But no, I can't it's so embarrassing carrying a naked man around!" I gush.

"Exactly, I think covers should be convenient to the reader. Besides, if it didn't have that cover, more people would buy it." He shrugged.

"Literally. That is my point." I rolled my eyes at how ridiculous that was to me.

So many good books go unread.

Poor books.

We got to his car and my hot chocolate was tucked in my hands, warming them.

He grabbed his acoustic guitar.

"Do you play electric?" I asked.

"I do. But I find acoustic to be very relaxing and romantic for occasions like this." He nodded.

I smiled as we walked to a bench in the middle of this little town.

"Give me a song." He sat down, pulling off his coat and setting it beside him.

"Aren't you cold?" I asked.

"You're wearing a skirt, it's gonna be cold, just sit." He flattened his jacket out.

I smiled, sitting beside him.

I watched him hold it, like it was built for him.

"I'm not sure." I mumbled.

"Do you like singing?" He asked as he began strumming the strings.

"I love music. I'm not so sure about singing." I shrugged.

"Fair."

He began playing the Tangled 'at last I see the light' melody.

I listened, my heart vibrating with both joy and calmness.

Then he went into Lover Of Mine by 5SOS.

I heard the beginning of the chorus, and he cleared his throat.

He began singing it to me, his voice started quiet, but when he hit the "dancing in my living room" line, his voice became louder.

It was beautiful, he had incredible control and the rasp was perfect. His eyes were shut as he both sang and played.

He was incredible.

Then it mellowed out, mixing with a new song.

"Can I be Him" by James Arthur.

I loved that song.

He was singing it and I was listening so intently. The breaths he took, the pauses, the rasp, his face.

I looked at the tattoos on his neck. The snow that began falling into his black hair.

I smiled, wondering how I ended up here.

Sitting with a kind man, who's so talented and so considerate. And I wondered how someone like him wanted to date me.

But I knew I deserved this. I earned it. But it didn't stop my mind from wondering nonetheless.

This was the best first date a girl like me could ask for.

And I never wanted it to end.