48. Gift of Life

Travis Swanson-

It's going so fast.

I'm holding her leg up, watching my wife push an entire human being out of her.

"Come on sweet girl." I kept complimenting her, through my shock and worry I knew she was doing so good.

Especially when I panicked the nurse gave me a smile.

"It's okay, this is natural, it's all up to her body now."

Her screams were breaking my heart, but as soon as my sons head was there, my mind was running blank, only white noise playing in my ears.

The rest of him coming from her, his little body placed on her bare chest immediately, her mouth gaped, eyes wide, tears spilling from them.

"Holy shit." She held the baby so close to her, Connor lying on the recliner I slept on after he passed out.

Hudson was behind the sheet, holding her hand, not seeing anything but there as support.

Peyton was so into it, Carmen, shocked by what just happened.

"I did it." She whispered with disbelief.

I couldn't move.

The baby's cries, her hands on him, holding the baby we created. I was mind blown.

I always had a deep love for women and what they go through but this...

Being the man who let a human into the world, adoring the woman birthing it. It was so crazy.

"My vagina hurts." She groaned.

The doctor laughed, the nurses smiling with their eyes since they had their surgical masks on.

"Dad?" The doctor called and that was a buzzard name I was just called.

But I reacted immediately.

"Wanna cut the cord?" He asked.

I nodded, cutting the rubbery substance that connected my son to my wife.

And something about that was bitter sweet.

He's in the world now instead of his safe bubble.

But aside from him being in her womb, the safest place for him was on her chest.

This looked so right.

Tears spilled from my eyes and I watched her admire our son.

We just had a baby.

That baby was made with so much love.

"Hi baby." She cried, her hands trembling as she touched his head with such a motherly like softness.

I bent down, tears falling from my eyes, my forehead against hers.

"You did so so good. Wow." I kissed her, her body trembling.

I couldn't touch him. Not yet, so I placed my hand over hers that laid on his back.

"He's so big but so small." She laughed.

She looked so tired.

"I love him." She cried, her head on the back of the hospital bed.

I smiled, tears relentlessly falling down my face.

"Do you wanna hold him?" She asked me.

"Are you sure?" I frowned.

She nodded.

I stood, not knowing how to do this.

But no one spoke, no one intervened, not even my mother which I was shocked about.

But this was about Hailey, Kaden, and I.

"It's okay." She smiled.

"Skin to skin if you're comfortable. I know we haven't washed him off yet." The nurse gently said.

I didn't give a fuck. I put that little man in her, I'm holding him in whatever state if that's what she wants.

I pulled my shirt off, turning, not knowing how to take him from her.

He was so little.

She helped me, my hand sliding under his belly, my other cupping the nape of his neck as I pulled him up, setting him on my chest.

He was so warm, a new feeling completely washing over me.

This was my son. My child. My boy.

And Hailey gifted him to us.

For that, I am forever grateful.

I was a dad.

I am a dad. Forever and always.

And I knew my love for him would grow so much more as I experienced fatherhood.

I cupped his body in one hand, my other holding his head as I held him out in front of me, looking at his face.

His hair was a light hazelnut color, but barely there, his skin still red, but I aspired to have him look like Hailey. But I'd love his handsome face regardless.

"You're so cute." Hailey cried.

I smiled at her.

"I'd never imagined this before. My baby having a baby of his own." My mom smiled.

I laughed.

"Are you okay if they wash him so you can have him back lovely?" I asked my wife.

"Take off your gown if you feel comfortable, maybe have guests go eat as one is still suffering from the wonders of life." She laughed.

She nodded and the nurse gently took him, first weighing him and doing his height.

"21 inches, 10 pounds, 2 ounces." She told us and I smiled.

"You're superwoman." I looked at Hailey and she laughed.

I walked to her, my hands taking in her face, my lips pressing kisses to her tired eyelids, her forehead, nose, lips, cheeks, and chin.

I adored everything about this woman.

Her strength was incredible.

"What's his name?" The nurse asked, setting him back down on her bare chest.

She locked eyes with Hudson.

Then I smiled at my mom.

"Kaden." Hailey said slowly.

"Lee." I winked at my mom.

"Awe stop." She cried, Hudson's lip wobbling the same way Hailey's does when she's sad.

We exchanged hugs, everyone so gentle with Hailey as they should be.

But by the end it was just us two.

Well... three.