37. Duh

Travis Swanson-

"Where are you taking me?" I smiled when she parked on a dirt road.

"You're always so cute with me. It's my turn." She frowned, stepping from the car as I got out myself. 

I adored seeing her in the sweater I bought her for christmas, she was so pretty.

She held my hand and I looked at her.

"It's cold." I whispered.

"Not up here. Well, yes it's cold still, but wait." She grinned as we walked up a hill.

It was steep but small, and when we reached the top the sunset was right there. Gorgeous.

"Isn't it pretty?" She sighed, squeezing my hand.

"It is." I nodded.

"And there's no snow since it's melted here." She looked at the wet ground beneath us.

I laughed, pulling her against my chest, her arms going around me in return.

She was breathing really strange.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I am." She sighed, holding onto me tighter.

"Why'd you bring me here?" I asked, genuinely curious as I laid my chin on her head, looking at the sky and the way the clouds changed shades.

"Honestly?" She backed up, a smile bright on her face as she had her hands in my hoodie pocket.

"Duh." I shook my head.

"Well," she took a step back, kneeling down.

"Excuse- what are- the ground is wet- Hailey-"

"Travis," she smiled, "I was lying to you when I said I wanted to be your girlfriend for a long time. It's been long enough for me. I love you, I love how you treat me, I love how you express yourself and communicate with me, I'm so in love with you, with this, I ask you to marry me." Her eyes welled with tears as she held open a black velour box with a ring.

"Say yes!" I heard a voice squeal behind me and I turned, seeing everyone

Hudson, Carmen, Connor, my mom, Liv.

"Answer her honey." My mom urged and I blinked, my eyes burning.

I looked back at Hailey, my heart hammering, I knelt with her, my eyes blurring.

"Y-you brought them?" I swallowed.

"I had to." She sniffled.

I pulled her into my lap, sitting on the cold, wet floor, my face in her neck, my arms around her so fucking tightly.

"Baby I'm supposed to propose to you." I sobbed a laugh.

She laughed into my shoulder, clearly crying.

"So that's a yes?" Hudson asked.

"Yes." I nodded and I laughed, Liv screaming and jumping on us.

"I'll move." Hailey whispered, getting off me as she let me hug my sister.

"I missed you." I cried, shocked, smelling her little baby scent she still had.

"I love you." She whispered and I stood, helping her stand as I turned to hug my mom.

"Hi honey." She laughed.

"When did you get here- how did you get here?" I asked and she looked at me, my body rolling and jittering from adrenaline.

"Hailey. She called me a bit ago and asked me for your hand, and she got us train tickets to be out here for this. Unfortunately we have to be back because Liv has school and I have a surgery tomorrow." She cupped my face and I held her hand there, her thumb wiping my tear.

"She asked you to marry me?" I whispered.

She gave the smile. The motherly smile.

"She also asked Liv. And of course we said yes." She laughed.

"Wow." I shook my head, looking at the ground.

"My turn!" Carmen jumped on me, his heavy ass wrapping around me.

"Best man?" I asked, patting his back.

"Obviously." He got off, kissing my cheek and I laughed, accepting it this time.

Hudson came, hugging me.

"That woman would do anything for you." He whispered.

"I know." I found comfort in him, he reminded me of a big brother in a way rather than a friend.

"Congrats." He backed up.

Connor laughed, hugging me.

"I'm gonna cry. Don't tell Hails." He mumbled and I laughed.

"I won't." I let him go, wiping my eyes.

"You wanna put it on orrrr-" Hailey waved the box at me.

I walked to her, grabbing her face in my hands, kissing her, kissing my fiancée.

I put the ring on before hugging her.

"You like it?" She whispered.

"I'll fuck you 50 different ways to prove it." I whispered back.

"I have to pick up my birth control, I missed a week." She answered.

"And?"

"Do you want a child?" She asked, sarcastic.

"Fuck yeah." I answered and she froze.

"Don't joke. That's not funny. Be rational not horny." She backed up, her hand on my chest and I could hear our family talking far from us.

"I'm not kidding. Let me fuck you, let me get you pregnant." I put my hand over the one she said laid on my chest.

"You gonna help me out?" She raised her eyebrows.

"No shit. You're my wife and that's gonna be my child. Fuck birth control." I told her.

"And you're okay with that?" She made sure.

"I mean we can wait, you're the one responsible for a human life my love. But I'm more than willing to knock you up." I smirked.

"Why those words?" She laughed.

"Because it's what I'm gonna do." I whispered, pushing her hair behind her ear.

"Alright. Tell no one." She looked over my shoulder.

"I wouldn't." I shook my head.

"Don't you wanna be married first?" She asked.

"You breaking up with me?" I frowned.

"Well no-"

"Then I expect a positive test on the counter in 6 weeks sweetheart." I kissed her forehead.