Chapter Twenty-Two: More Trouble

Early update since I will be pretty busy tomorrow

~~~~~~~~~~

A few weeks after Ember came home, all the ghouls were in the common room with Aether and Sodo playing Mario Cart. Ember had her legs up on the couch, laughing at Sodo getting frustrated at Aether.

"This is why I bully you," Sodo told him as Aether passed him in the game. Rain chuckled, "What? Just cause he's better at Mario Cart than you?"

Rain was sitting on the ground just in front of the couch Ember was sitting on, Sunshine just next to him. They had marked each other a few days ago, and they've been pretty inseparable since. Ember chimed in, "I think it's the being better at Mario Cart and the height that pisses him off, actually."

"Ember, you're supposed to be on my side!" Sodo called, not taking his eyes off the screen. Ember told him, "I am on your side, I'm just revealing why you hate Aether so much."

"Hate is such a strong word. He doesn't hate me, do you, Sodo," Aether teased, just as he got first place. Sodo tossed the controller to the ground saying, "Yeah, I fucking hate you, you oaf."

"Oh, don't be like that, Dewdrop," Aether continued to tease, "You'll survive just fine without beating me in Mario Cart."

Sodo just stood up, going to the couch where Ember was, grumbling, "Fucking cheater."

Ember sat up just enough for Sodo to slide behind her, one of his legs on her side, the other staying on the floor as he held her close to his chest. He huffed as he put his chin on top of her head, making Ember giggle, "You are such a sore loser, Sodo."

"You try playing him then," Sodo challenged, "He's a cheater and he knows it."

"Sodo, if they put shortcuts in the game, it's not considered cheating. It's not my fault you don't know where they are," Aether told him, handing his controller to Rain, who had challenged his mate to a game of Mario Cart. Sodo simply huffed, holding Ember close as Rain and Sunshine started playing. Despite it only being midday, Ember was feeling exhausted due to the pain meds the doctors had her on. She got more comfortable against Sodo's chest, letting her eyes drift shut as she fell asleep amidst Rain and Sunshine's yelling. Sodo hadn't noticed she had fallen asleep until Sunshine and Rain were almost done with their match.

"Hey, quiet down, would you?" Sodo hissed. Rain turned around. Losing focus in the game, noticing that Ember had fallen asleep. Sunshine let out a little yell of satisfaction when she won in 3rd place when Rain hadn't even crossed the finish line yet. Rain quickly finished the game, taking it off as he said, "Come on, Sunny. Embers meds knocked her out again. Let's let her sleep."

"Oh, she fell asleep again?" Sunshine said. Rain just stood up, holding his hand out to her, "If you want a rematch, we can arrange that in my room."

"Rain, you shouldn't refer to sex as a rematch," Swiss told him. Rain simply flipped him off as he and Sunshine left the common room. Aether came by and draped a blanket over Ember's body, telling Sodo, "Don't forget about practice later."

"If Ember is still asleep, I'll let you know. I'll just be a little late," Sodo told him. Aether nodded, leaving the room as well. The rest soon followed, except Swiss. Sodo looked at him and said, "You gonna be loud?"

"I actually wanted to talk to you," Swiss said. Sodo gave him a confused face, "Why?"

"Because you're the only one with the most experience with this," Swiss told him. Sodo sighed, thinking, this is gonna be another Rain situation.

"I'm guessing you found your mate then?" Sodo asked. Swiss hesitantly nodded, "Yeah, I think so."

"You gonna tell me who or do I have to guess?" Sodo asked him, running his fingers through Ember's hair. Swiss hesitated for a second, "I don't know, it's not the usual pairing."