Chapter 4) Roof

The sun blinds Y/N as the door to the roof flies open and the group of people exit the cramped stairwell. An older man holds a large gun and is shooting walkers down on the street.

T-Dog rubs his head in annoyance looking at the crazed man. "Dixon! Are you crazy?"

Andrea rubs her arm and paces slightly. "Oh god."

The man laughs and keeps shooting. "Hey! Y'all be more polite to a man with a gun! Huh? Ah! Only common sense."

T-Dog shakes his head. "Man, you wasting bullets we ain't even got! And you're bringing even more of them down on our ass! Man, just chill."

The man stops firing and points his finger at the hispanic man. "Hey! Bad enough I've got this taco-bender on my ass all day. Now I'm gonna take orders from you? I don't think so, bro. That'll be the day."

Y/N takes a deep breath. This guy is obviously a big problem.

"'That'll be the day"'? You got something you want to tell me?" T-Dog asks taking a step forward.

"I'll tell you the day, Mr. "Yo." It's the day I take orders from a n*****."

Y/N covers her mouth as T-Dog attempts to lunge at the redneck. The two tussle and the Dixon guy overpowers him, hitting him multiple times. The group try and get him off but the man is relentless.

"Merle cut it out!" Somebody shouts.

Y/N rips her eyes away from the scene in front of her. She wants to help but she doesn't know what to do. What will this Merle guy do if she pulls out her gun?

The white man then pulls out a handgun and aims it the other man's head. The two women gasp and try to plea with Dixon.

"Yeah! All right! We're gonna have ourselves a little powwow, huh? Talk about who's in charge. I vote me. Anybody else? Huh? Democracy time, y'all. Show of hands, huh? All in favor? Huh? Come on. Let's see 'em. Oh, come on. All in favor? Yeah. That's good. Now that means I'm the boss, right? Yeah. Anybody else? Hmm? Anybody?" He keeps calling out, forcing people to raise their hands.

Suddenly Merle gets knocked to the ground. It's Rick. He takes out his handcuffs and attaches the man onto a pipe.

Merle tries resisting but it's too late. "Who the hell are you, man?!"

"Officer friendly. Look here, Merle. Things are different now. There are no n****** anymore. No dumb-as-shit, inbred white-trash fools either. Only dark meat and white meat. There's us and the dead. We survive this by pulling together, not apart." Rick says to the man.

Y/N quickly makes her way to the other side of the roof and bends down to the beaten man. He groans as he sits up.

"Are you okay?" She whispers.

T-Dog nods and Y/N glances back at Rick.

Merle spits in his face. "Screw you man."

Rick rolls his eyes. "I can see you have a habit of missing the point."

"Yeah? Well, screw you twice."

With that, Rick takes out his own gun and aims it at Merle. "Ought to be polite to a man with a gun. Only common sense." He says, cocking it audibly.

"You wouldn't. You're a cop." The man groans out.

"All I am anymore is a man looking for his wife and son. Anybody that gets in the way of that is gonna lose. I'll give you a moment to think about that."

Y/N takes a seat next to T-Dog at that. So he does
have a wife. She sighs slightly, catching the attention of the darker skinned woman, who says nothing.

Rick takes a small bag of white powder out of Merle's pocket and tosses it over the side of the building as Merle shouts.

He's an addict. Makes sense.

Rick stands over the railing and looks down at the streets as the hispanic man walks up to him. Y/N learns that his name is Morales and the black woman with the short hair is Jacqui.

Later, T-Dog still struggles with the radio. Morales tells them that there's a small group of survivors just outside the city.

Rick sighs. "So we're on our own. It's up to us to find a way out."

Merle groans against the metal pipe again. "Good luck with that. These streets ain't safe in this part of town from what I hear. Ain't that right, sugar tіts?"

Y/N looks up at him to find the man staring at her, a small smirk on his face. She grimaces and looks away.

"Hey, honeybunch, what say you get me out of these cuffs, we go off somewhere and bump some uglies? Gonna die anyway." He says louder, hoping it'll convince her.

Y/N fights the urge to slap him across the face. "I'd rather."

"Rug muncher. I figured as much." Merle says with a sigh.

Y/N tries standing up but T-Dog gently pulls her arm back down. He shakes his head at her.

Morales rolls his eyes at Dixon. "The streets ain't safe. Now there's an understatement."

Rick scratches his face. "What about under the streets? The sewers?"

Glenn walks over to the edge of the roof and glances down an alley. He looks back at the group and gives them a small shake of the head. "No manholes. Must be all out on the streets where the geeks are."

Jacqui stands quickly, with an idea. "Maybe not. Old building like this built in the '20s... Big structures often had drainage tunnels into the sewers in case of flooding down in the subbasements."

Glenn tilts his head slightly. "How'd you know that?"

"It's my job... was. I worked in the city zoning office." She replies.

Rick and Y/N exchange looks and he nods. She sighs. What did she get herself into?
————————————————————————