Chapter 44) Formation

"Ready?" Hershel asks.

Y/N, Rick, Daryl, Maggie, Glenn, and T-Dog all stand with their weapons in hand just outside the gate to the concrete part of the prison.

They nod and he pulls open the gate allowing the six to run inside. Hershel shuts it and the remaining group members try to draw the walkers to the fence.

They stand around in tight formation. During the months in between Honey Grove and here, they discovered a more concise way to have eyes on all side.

Their backs are to each other, in a star-like shape. They take down the walkers along the way towards the building.

They slowly push forward until they notice a second open gate just ahead. Rick holds up his hand the the group quickly press their backs against a wall as they try to come up with a plan.

Suddenly four walkers wearing protective armor and helmets come out from behind a car. Maggie kicks one to the floor. Daryl tries shooting one in the head but the arrow bounces off the plastic.

Y/N's arm suddenly gets tugged and she turns around to find another armed walker. She quickly pushes it backward, using the time it takes to stumble to shove her sword under the mask, killing it.

She smirks slightly as she glances at the others. "See that?"k

They follow her lead, using the same tactic to take down the other ones. Rick and Daryl rush over and close the other gate, leaving a large group of walkers trapped inside.

Once their section is clear, they all take a sigh of relief.

Glenn glances around. "Seems secure."

Daryl looks at one of the bodies and points his crossbow at it while shaking his head. "That's a civilian."

Y/N takes a deep breath. "So the inside could be filled with walkers from outside the prison."

Maggie hums to herself. "What if walls are down?"

T-Dog rubs his head. "We can't rebuild this whole place."

Rick sighs. "We need to push in. We can't risk a blind spot."

Everyone agrees, heading over towards the door that leads inside. Daryl goes first followed by Rick and T-Dog. Y/N, Glenn, and Maggie enter last.

They appear to be inside a cell block. Thankfully the inside is clear. Rick walks up a staircase to a little overhang where a dead guard sits. He takes the keys and heads back down, using them to unlock the metal door which leads to the actual cells.

Inside, they find two dead bodies and one walker. Once they clear it, the others enter with the groups belongings.

Rick smiles slightly. "What do you think?" He asks.

Carl shrugs. "Home sweet home."

"For the time being." Rick says.

Lori holds a pillow in her hand. "It's secure?"

Y/N nods. "This cell block is.

"In the morning, we'll find the cafeteria, and the infirmary." Rick says.

"We sleep in the cells?" Beth says with a slight shiver.

Carol nods.

Everyone chooses their cells. Daryl huffs. "I ain't sleeping in no cage. I'll take the perch."

Y/N follows behind Rick as he picks a cell toward the end of the row. She sets her bag on the floor, flopping onto the lower bunk.

He chuckles and nudges her over so he can slide in next to her.

She wraps her arms around him and sighs.

"What?" He asks.

"Just tired." She mumbles.

He smiles. "Then sleep."
————————————————————————
Y/N isn't sure how long she's asleep. By the time she wakes up, Rick is no longer beside her.

She crawls out of the bunk and exits the cell. She walks into the other room where some of the guys stand around a metal table.

They must've collected the items from outside.

She yawns, warning a smile from Glenn and a chuckle from T-Dog.

Rick starts listing off some of the things on display. "Flashbangs, CS Triple-Chasers. Not sure how they'd work on walkers, but we'll take them."

Daryl picks up one of the helmets from the armored walkers. He looks inside. There's slimy walker skin coated inside. He sets it down. "I ain't wearing that sh*t."

T-Dog picks it up and looks it over. "We could boil it."

Daryl shakes his head. "Ain't enough firewood in the whole forest, no. Besides we've made it this far without them right?"

Y/N nods a little at that. They've been on the road for months. They don't need fancy equipment. They only need each other to survive.

Rick looks to the others. "Gather up your stuff. Get Maggie and Hershel. We are gonna keep pushing in."
————————————————————————
Inside the cell block, Lori, Carol and Beth watch as the group prepare weapons and armor to go further inside, in search of more supplies.

Carl tries trying on a helmet but Rick pulls it away and tells him he isn't going and that he's needed back in the cells. Carl reluctantly agrees and the group exits.

Rick leads the way down the corridors with Daryl. Y/N and Hershel are next. T-Dog, Maggie, and Glenn follow.

They move slowly and quietly, stepping over dead bodies in the halls.

Glenn paints arrows on the walls so they know how to get back.

They turn a corner and run into a cluster of walkers in prison uniforms.

Rick looks back and tries to motion them away quietly but it's too late. They've been spotted. "Go back! Go back!"

Formation is lost as the group run back the way they came, trying to maneuver their way through the dark hallways.

Y/N trips over a dead walker and the side of her head smacks against the concrete.

Her vision is slightly blurry as she stands up. She quickly looks around. Everyone is gone. She wants to call out but knows that walkers are everywhere.

Instead, she continues down the narrow path. She spots a small door and quickly enters, breathing heavily as she hears a few walkers pass the door.

She pushes open the door slightly, glancing around. Once it's clear, she exits and tries to find Glenn's arrows on the wall.

Suddenly she hears a loud shout. She chases after the noise and what she finds is horrifying.

Hershel just got bit.
————————————————————————