Chapter 57) Deja Vu

Inside the cell block, Rick shakes his head.
"We're not leaving."

Hershel speaks from his seat on the stairs. "We can't stay here."

Maggie runs a hand through her short hair. "What if there's another sniper? A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds."

Beth scratches her head. "We can't even go outside."

Sasha nods. "Not in the daylight."

Glenn turns to face everyone. "Rick says we're
not running, we're not running."

Merle, who is on the other side of the locked cell door, speaks. "No. Better to live like rats."

Rick rolls his eyes. "You got a better idea?"

"Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day. But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now."

"We ain't scared of that prick." Daryl says.

"Y'all should be. That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell. We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to." Merle replies.

Maggie grinds her teeth. "Let's put him in the other cell block."

Y/N sighs. "He's got a point."

Maggie points angrily at Merle. "This is all your fault. You started this!"

Beth walks down the stairs. "What difference is it whose fault it is? What do we do?"

Hershel looks at Rick. "I say we should leave.
Now three people are dead. We can't just sit here."

Rick sighs and tries walking away but Hershel stands and shouts. "Get back here!"

Rick stops. Hershel walks up to him with his crutches. "You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy. Now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. So get your head clear and do something."

Rick takes a deep breath. He hands a gun to Maggie. "Take watch, eyes open, head down.
Field's filled with walkers." He turns to the others. "I didn't see any snipers out there, but we'll keep Maggie on watch. Sasha too."

Daryl nods. "I'll get up in the guard tower, take out half them walkers, give these guys a chance to fix the fence."

"Or we could use some of the cars to get the bus in place." Michonne says.

Y/N purses her lips. "We can't access the field without burning through our bullets."

"So we're trapped in here. There's barely any food or ammo." Glenn says.

Daryl shrugs. "Been here before. We'll be alright."

Glenn shakes his head. "That's when it was just us. Before there was a snake in the nest."

Daryl scoffs. "Man, we gonna go through this again? Look, Merle's staying here. He's with us now. Get used to it. All of y'all."

Daryl climbs the staircase and Glenn lowers his voice. "Seriously, Rick, I don't think Merle living here is really gonna fly."

"I can't just kick him out."

"I wouldn't ask you to live with Shane after he tried to kill you. Or Y/N."

The mention of Shane makes Y/N feel sick. Nobody knows that she was the one who killed him. Nobody except for Rick.

Hershel speaks up. "Merle has military experience. He may be erratic, but don't underestimate his loyalty to his brother."