Chapter 18) Echo

Rick and Daryl come back to the group empty handed. The next morning they resume the search. Shane pulls open the arsenal that Carl found and gestures to it.

"Everybody takes a weapon."

Andrea crosses her arms. "These aren't the weapons we need. What about the guns?"

Shane rolls his eyes. "We've been over that. Rick, Daryl, and I are carrying."

Andrea raises a brow at Y/N. "Then why is she still carrying hers."

Y/N scoffs. "Want it? Cause if it'll make your day just a tad bit brighter I wouldn't mind, hun." She says sarcastically.

Andrea flips her off silently. Y/N shrugs. Rick eyes her. Carl stifles a giggle and Y/N smiles at him.

"The idea is to take the creek up about five miles, turn around and come back down the other side. Chances are she'll be by the creek. It's her only landmark." Daryl tells them.

Rick nods. "Stay quiet and stay sharp. Keep space between you but always stay within sight of each other."

Dale and T-Dog agree to stay behind to finish fixing up the RV and collecting materials. The rest gather weapons and bags.

Y/N picks up the hatchet that Carl was eyeing. He begs his dad to let him tag along and Rick agrees, as long as Carl stays near Y/N.

After a bit of searching, they come across a tent. Shane shrugs. "She could be in there."

"Could be a whole bunch of things in there." Y/N mumbles.

Daryl whistles. Carol whispers. "Sophia?"

Daryl flings open the flap, only to find a rotted walker corpse inside.

He walks out and shakes his head. Suddenly loud bells begin to ring in the distance. Church bells?

"What the hell?" Daryl mumbles.

"Where's that coming from?" Lori asks.

"It's hard to tell out here." Rick says.

"Somebody could be ringing those bells." Shane nods.

"Maybe signaling they found her." Glenn offers.

Carol adjusts her sweater. "She could be ringing them herself."

They group hurries towards the sound and comes across a small church.

Y/N sighs. "This can't be it. There's no steeple. No bells."

Rick and Daryl take the lead inside the building. There are three walkers inside. Shane handles one, Daryl does too. Rick kills the last one.

Y/N sits in one of the pews, Carl curling up next to her. Sophia was never here.

Shane shakes his head. "It's the wrong church, Rick."

Suddenly the bells go off again and it's even louder than before. They rush outside and Glenn finds a tiny box on the side wall.

He smacks it and the bells stop. "Timer. It's on a timer."

Carol sighs. "I'm gonna go back in for a little bit."
————————————————————————
The group now stands outside. Shane looks at Rick. "We gotta go, man. These people are spent. There's only so many hours of daylight left. We still got a long way back."

Rick shakes his head. "I can't leave yet."

Y/N nods. "We still got a lot of ground to cover, the whole other side of the Creek Bed."

Shane looks at her. "So we search that on the way back."

Glenn looks around. "She would have heard those church bells. She could be nearby."