Chapter 12) Call

The group watches Andrea quietly. She just shot her now-turned sister. She cries softly over her body.

Y/N turns Carls head so he doesn't have to see it.

Now, the group stands atop the hill, over a grave. They're holding a funeral for their people. After it's over, the group starts walking back towards the main area of camp.

Carls hand is interlocked with Y/N's. He looks up at Rick. "Are we safe now, dad? Now that we're together?"

Rick nods. "I won't leave again. I promise you that. Not for anything. Now go with Y/N. Give me a chance to discuss some things with your mom, okay?"

Carl nods. Rick glances at Y/N and she smiles softly.

A few hours and several tense conversations later, Shane stands before the group near the RV. "I've been, uh... I've been thinking about Rick's plan. Now look, there are no... There are no guarantees either way. I'll be the first one to admit that. I've known this man a long time. I trust his instincts. I say the most important thing here is we need to stay together. So those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning."
————————————————————————
That night, Y/N sleeps on the floor of the RV. Carl refused to go to his parents tent, instead sleeping on the little fold-out couch in the RV.

The next morning, they gather around outside as Shane speaks. "Everybody listen up. Those of you with C.B.s, we're gonna be on channel 40. Let's keep the chatter down, okay? Now you got a problem, don't have a C.B., can't get a signal or anything at all, you're gonna hit your horn one time. That'll stop the caravan. Any questions?"

Morales holds up his hand. "Actually... we aren't going." He says, gesturing to his wife and two kids.

His wife nods. "We have family in Birmingham. We want to be with our people."

Shane shrugs. "You go on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back."

Morales sighs. "We'll take the chance. I got to do what's best for my family."

They say their goodbyes and get into one of the cars.

Carl walks with Lori to the truck and Rick walks over to the car Glenn stole. He's holding a piece of paper.

Y/N joins him at the car. "What are you doing?"

"Leaving something for a man I knew. He helped me survive."

Y/N nods, saying nothing. Rick laughs a little. "Surprised Carl isn't with you. He hasn't left your side since the attack."

She smiles slightly. "Yeah. A little annoying but he's adorable so it's okay."

Rick laughs again. "Yeah..." He looks into her eyes and she shifts her weight onto her other foot nervously. She clears her throat. "We should..."

Rick nods. "Yeah." He holds up the keys. "To the truck."

Rick gets in the driver seat and Lori sits next to him. Y/N sits in the backseat with Carl.

Sophia, Carol, Shane, and T-Dog are in another car. Glenn, Jacqui, Dale and Andrea are in the RV with Jim. Daryl drives his motorcycle.

A few hours into the drive, the RV honks, indicating to stop the caravan.

Everyone gets out of the cars and meet at the front of the RV, where Dale rubs his head irritably. "I told you we'd never get far on that hose. I said I needed the one from the cube van."

Rick sighs. "Can you jury-rig it?"

"That's all it's been so far. It's more duct tape than hose. And I'm out of duct tape."