Chapter 24) Truth

"Y/N, you can't."

"We need answers Glenn. If the barn is full of walkers, we should at least know why."

Y/N decided she wanted to talk to Hershel to figure out why he kept that secret from them. She knows that it isn't technically any of her business but seriously.

A. Barn. Full. Of. Walkers.

That's concerning. And don't get her wrong, she really likes Hershel and his family, and is grateful for everything they've done for her own people but this is a little insane.

Glenn hesitantly agrees to let her talk to him. She finds Hershel in the stables tending to a horse.

"Nervous Nelly?" She asks him.

He turns. "Found her in the stalls this morning."

She nods. After a moment she inhales then speaks. "I was patrolling earlier. I walked by the barn."

Hershel stops brushing Nelly, his hand freezing over her mane.

"I heard the groaning." She finishes.

She doesn't want to tell him that Glenn found them. Instead she made up a brief story.

He doesn't deny it. He just sighs. "That's unfortunate."

She takes a step closer, gently touching the older man's shoulder. "I'm sure you have your reasons, but if you could just... explain."

"I saw the broadcasts before they stopped, saw the irrational fear, the atrocities, like the incident at my well."

Y/N tilts her head. "We killed a walker." She says gently.

He shakes his head. "You killed a person."

She sighs. "Well, if you watched the same broadcasts I did, you saw walkers attack, kill. They're dangerous."

He shrugs. "A paranoid schizophrenic is dangerous too. We don't shoot sick people."

She rubs her temples. "With all due respect, you've been cut off from the outside world here." She says motioning around the property. "I've seen people die and come back. They aren't people anymore."

"My wife and stepson are in that barn. They're people." He says.

She looks at the floor. "I'm sorry."

There's a pause before she speaks again. "Let me help. Let me talk to Rick. He's a good guy. We can help make the barn more secure. For everyone."

"The barn is secure. Please keep this to yourself if you want to help. Rick may be a man of conscience, but are you so sure about everyone in your group?"

With that he pats her shoulder and leaves her alone in the stable.
————————————————————————
Later, Y/N sits in her tent. She rubs her arm that is still healing, as she looks at the barn from afar.

Suddenly the flap opens and she looks up. It's Rick.

He sits on the cot, next to her, their legs touching.

He puts his head in his hands.

She gently touches his back. "Rick, are you okay?"

He looks at her, their faces maybe a foot apart. "Lori is pregnant. With Shane's baby."

Y/N's jaw drops to the floor. She already knew about the pregnancy from Glenn. Never in a million years would she think that Lori and Shane were together.

Then it all clicks. Back at the CDC. The scratches on Shane's neck. The moments at camp in Atlanta when they would sneak off. Lori cheated on Rick with Shane. Shane of all people?