(Not A Ship) ?Douma and Mitsuri Sibling AU? (Part One)

A/N: requested by Chicop7. I haven't been updating since I'm away from home, and where I am has shitty WiFi.  Enjoy my sibling's epic 3am photoshop picture at the top and this short oneshot. Anyways, what should I call the next book I write? It's about Douma running from the Uppermoons. Ignore how this wouldn't work due to time, pretend....idk.

The sound of clashing metal echoed around the empty forest, the nighttime animals hurrying back to their burrows in fear. Sparks shot out from the colliding blades, pinpricks of light in a sea of suffocating darkness.

The demon halted, a gleam in its ocean blue eyes. "Why not cease this fighting, and become a demon?" He yelled, hands still firmly gripping his sword.

"Never! Unlike you, I won't betray the Corps!" Came the anger filled reply, a normally smiling face now a distorted picture of resentment. "I will kill you!"

"You killing me? Hah! I'm Uppermoon Six, and you're definitely the weakest hashira! I don't think that'll work out for you."

The female hashira cracked her whip-like sword through the air, her opponent, Kaigaku, leaping away. As he jumped, the tip of the weapon brushed his face, a large gash opening. Blood dripped out for a few seconds, and then the cut had healed.

"Hah! I didn't even use energy on healing that! Being a demon is so much better."

Mitsuri gasped. She knew that his regeneration was quick, but she didn't know he they could do it at that speed, and without wasting energy. It would be difficult to kill him.

She ran towards him, sword prepared for attack. He leaped forward, then froze. His eyes widened, and he took an uncertain step back. Mitsuri landed the attack on him as he stopped, raining down blows. He growled and jumped backwards, healing the deep cuts in his flesh.

"I'll come back! I will, Kanroiji, and I'll kill you!" The recently turned Uppermoon Six turned and ran with inhumane speed, leaving Mitsuri in the glade. She sighed. Odd that he had run, but maybe he was still a coward.

The woman started to walk back to her current residence, shaking her head.

"Poor boy! Too blinded by want for power to stay true to the right people! How unfortunate."

She shivered slightly. Was it just her, or had the air seemed to get colder? Her breath now caused mist to rise in front of her in smoky spirals. She passed a small pond which she'd run by an hour prior, a thin sheet of ice now covering the surface.

There was a sudden noise, a twig cracking underfoot. She turned around quickly before she realised she was the one who had made the sound.

A feeling of unease settled over her. The night was silent. Too silent. Usually one could hear animals, or water running somewhere.

There was a sudden movement from behind a tree. Was someone watching her?

She turned around again, her back to the place she'd thought someone was watching her from.

A bird cawed suddenly, perhaps it was her crow? No, the animal in the tree wasn't black, more dark grey. All of a sudden, it took off from the branch it was perched on, as if it had been startled.

Mitsuri was unnerved. Something was definitely there. Another demon? A lost human?

"Hello?" She called out. There was no response. She scanned the trees. Nothing.

"Is someone there?!" She yelled loudly. There was still no reply. Maybe she was imagining things, and she was alone after all. Wild birds were easily scared, it didn't mean that something was there.

Right?

She kept walking. The temperature had seemed to have dropped by a few degrees again. She shivered. Her demon slayer outfit was not well equipped towards the cold, unsurprisingly.

Leaves crunched underfoot, frost blossoming across the auburn autumn-plants. The sky was still dark, it would be a few hours before dawn began. Wind whispered through the gaps in the trees, unknown shadows dancing across the forest floor.

Mitsuri reached another pool of water, this one still unfrozen. She glanced down into the muddy water, her distorted reflection gazing back at her. The wind caused her sakura hair to drift across her face, giving a windswept look to her whole appearance.

She looked back up, sighing with tiredness. She'd been awake all night after all, that Uppermoon Six had refused to get within seven foot of her and so she couldn't hurt him. Which then consequently led to an night long fight which neither of them had come out victorious.

When she looked down at the water again, there was another reflection.

She spun around, sword outstretched, and felt the nichirin make contact with the figure. The sword sliced their upper torso and abdomen in half, and they fell over with a thud. Mitsuri relaxed her posture and fixed her gaze on the water again. The night hadn't gone to waste, she'd killed a demon.

"Wait,"she said slowly, the realisation drawing upon her. "What if that person next to me wasn't a demon? Oh my gosh! Have I killed a human?"

She dropped down, examining the motionless body. Blood stained the ground, pooling in a scarlet puddle. The internal organs were exposed, all inanimate. Mitsuri gagged at the amount of blood and gore. This wasn't a demon, since it hadn't regenerated. With great difficulty, she forced herself to feel the forehead of the - presumed - dead figure.

It was cold.

She stood up, feeling disgusted with herself. She'd killed an innocent person, someone who just wanted to have a walk late at night.

She turned away from the corpse. She couldn't stand looking at it. She wanted to cry and she wanted the person to be alive again. But she couldn't change the past. She ran away from the severed body, tears starting to fall out of her pale green eyes. How could she do such a thing? She ran until she could no longer see what she'd done. Until the only thing in her vision was a line of trees and fauna.

If she hadn't run, she would have seen what happened after. 

The way the broken bones cracked into place again, muscle stretched over and the veins built up. A layer of skin blossomed over the torso, exposed due to the ripped clothing. The closed eyes flickered open, kanji pupils staring blankly. 

The blood-coated figure stood up. They smirked, licking the blood off their hands with faked delight. Sweeping their silver hair back, they sighed.

"So that's what you've become," Murmured the silky smooth voice. "A pathetic demon slayer."

The person rolled their rainbow eyes. "I always thought you had potential. You should have become a demon, not a demon's enemy. Hell, you were the reason I...."

Douma fell silent, as if lost in thought about a time when things had been better, when he wasn't so lonely. He straightened his posture, and silently ran after the Hashira. She was sobbing, tears falling down her cheeks. She didn't look up. She didn't see him.

She collapsed on the ground.

"Why did I do that?! I killed some one! I killed a human! That's murder!" She cried out, uncaring that she could be heard.

He crept around her, careful not to make a sound. If Mitsuri looked up, she would see him. He came closer to her, her back turned to him. He came closer. 

It really was her. He'd nearly been convinced when he allowed her to place a hit on him. Those green eyes were unmistakably her's, but the green and pink hair had thrown him off slightly. 

He'd finally found her.

Douma placed a hand on her shoulder. "Hello, sister."