? Hashira Au? (Part Two)

"Missing as in dead?" Asked Hakuji, raising an eyebrow. "I fail to see an issue here."

Muzan let out a low sigh, turning his head in the direction of Hakuji's voice. His blind eyes swept over each of the Hashira, pausing to rest on the Destruction Pillar.

"Yes. But we can't be sure yet. Which is why I brought you here," Muzan said, looking away from the Hashira, fumbling around with his fingers before picking up a scrap of cloth next to him. "This was found in the forest where Douma was last seen. It's his. Another demon slayer found a different item of clothing that the Ice Hashira doesn't wear with his scent on it, indicating he might be alive. The Corps need him back, he's our second stron- he's a valuable member."

"What does this have to do with us?" Called Gykokko, twirling his purple hair around his finger. "Why did we need to be notified?"

"The Hashira must be complete. One of you need to go and find Douma and bring him back." Muzan tilted his head, smiling. "Do any of you volunteer?"

There was silence for a few seconds. None of the Hashira moved. Not even Ume and Gyutaro spoke, instead just glancing down at the floor. After what felt like an eternity, Gyutaro cleared his throat.

"But... if he's missing," he began in his raspy voice. Michikatsu could already tell he wasn't volunteering. "Then he's probably dead. Douma's a Hashira, a bigger target, so if he hasn't come back from a mission... we could probably assume the worst."

Muzan shook his head. "Douma is strong. He may have survived. Does anyone want to help?"

Still no one moved. Then, Michikatsu raised a hand.

"No volunteers? How disappointing."

Shit, he'd forgotten Muzan was blind.

"I.. I will go," muttered Michikatsu, looking embarrassed as he said the words.

Hakuji glanced at him. Leaning over, he whispered into the Moon Pillar's ear. "You care about that bastard?"

Before Michikatsu could reply - and embarrass himself further - Muzan spoke.

"Thank you, Michikatsu. The rest of you..." Muzan just sighed. "Thank you for coming. You may leave, Michikatsu stay a bit longer so I can tell you where he was last seen."

The Hashira stood up, walking away in different directions. Nakime, Muzan and Michikatsu stayed, to discuss Michikatsu's new mission.

Well - Nakime wouldn't talk, she was more like a sentimental ornament.

———-

Douma was cold. His haori was gone, his hakama trousers completely ripped. And it didn't help he was on this freezing mountain, in an equally freezing cave.

Plus, he hadn't eaten for sometime. The demon who had taken him didn't seem to realise that he was human, and wasn't a cannibal. Seriously, the now decaying corpses she'd put in front of him were starting to really smell. It was gross.

Speaking of the demon... where were they? He hadn't seen them in... how long was it now? A day? Perhaps more.

He wasn't worried about them, at all. He was just worried about the fact he might starve to death if they didn't return.

Just as he was thinking about the pros and cons of the demon rolling off a cliff into a pool of lava, he heard soft footsteps that he could assume were the demon's.

"I'm back~"

Yup, definitely the demon.

"Did you miss me? You still haven't eaten your food!" She exclaimed, her three eyes widening. "Are you sick or something? I can cure you!"