☻ Douma & Rui ☻

(A/N: the oneshot no one asked for where Douma becomes part of Rui's family)

Douma looked at the scene in front of him, trying to determine whether to eat the corpses or leave them.

The various demon slayers were spread out across the ground, disappearing silk wrapped around their limbs. A crow cawed somewhere; perhaps it belonged to one of them? 

Muzan had sent him here after hearing there'd been a large scale attack on Mount Natagumo. Of course the Demon King was worried, anyone with half a brain could see that the Lowermoon Five was one of Muzan's favourites.

Douma was silent, trying to listen to see if there was a heartbeat sound; indicating a human or demon was alive. 

He could hear a faint one - therefore it would be a demon's - coming from a separate peak. That meant a climb upwards, realised Douma. 

After a brief walk - which was calming, since the moon was clouded over and not too bright - the Uppermoon Two reached the place where the sound was coming from, now accompanied by quick muttering.

"Should've kept them safe- damn Demon Slayers killing them. I shouldn't have hid, I should of have helped, it's what a good son would do. What a good brother would do..."

The voice was almost monotonous, like Kokushibo's. It was as if the demon was lecturing himself, instead of blaming himself like Douma initially thought. Douma cleared his throat, finally seeing the infamous Lower Five.

Douma didn't expect him to look so... young. 

The pale demon looked at him, face blank. Teal eyes, stark against scarlet sclera, scanned him. White hair framed the lower Kizuki's face, and Douma thought the red marks in his face looked adorable.

"Rui, ne? I'm Douma!" The blonde offered out a hand, a grin on his face. 

"Um...yes." Rui said, taken aback by the Uppermoon's joyfulness. He'd always assumed an Uppermoon would be silent - dignified - and yet this one seemed full of childlike excitement. "It's good to meet you, I suppose."

After a few awkward seconds where Rui didn't move, and Douma's hand just hovered in the air, the latter's grin widened - how was that even possible? - and he sat down in the rock next to Rui. 

"Why so sad? You killed a lot of humans!"

Rui shook his head, and his hair bounced softly. "They killed my family. This rock I'm sitting on...it was Mother's."

Douma cocked his head in a curious manner. "Your family got turned into demons when you did? How lucky!"

Again Rui shook his head, the white strands moving. They looked so soft, Douma needed to know what he did to them.

"I made a family...but they're all dead now. The demon slayers made sure of that." Rui replied. 

"Aww, poor you. I'm sure you'll find new family though!" Douma exclaimed, patting Rui on the head. The spider demon looked confused by the affection, but a small smile graced his lips.

"Demons stay away from here, no one will come."

"I know! I can be part of your family!"

Rui looked at him in shock. "Really?!"

"Mhm!"

An innocent smile made its way across Rui's face, and he hugged Douma around the waist. "Yay! You can be the strong big brother!"

Douma felt something spark in his chest, a warmth. Was this what he was missing that kept him from accessing emotion? A family?

"Yes! I will protect you, otouto-san!" Grinned Douma, returning the hug. "But you have to tell me some things about you first!"

Rui nodded, and excitedly began talking about himself and things that interested him. Douma returned the conversation, both of them rapidly chatting. As he talked, Douma found himself enjoying it. He could tell this would be more than just some entertainment. Perhaps, for once, he could form a bond with someone?

They talked throughout the entirety of the night, briefly pausing to eat some of the many human bodies that littered the forest floor. Rui's family had protected themselves well.

Douma hadn't noticed the sun peeking up behind the tree line, and Rui's should to get the younger's attention. He pointed at the sky, which was slowly turning red.

"You have a house?" Asked Douma. He almost instantly noticed the way Rui's shoulders drooped; his bottom lip beginning to quiver.

"Sorry Douma-san! The demon slayers destroyed it, in case I was in there." Rui looked so sad, Douma couldn't take it. Why would the demon slayers do that? Didn't they know that was bad manners, to destroy someone's property?

"That's fine! Would you prefer my 'house', or the Infinity Castle?" 

"I don't mind.." said Rui, looking at Douma. "But can we go soon? The sun might burn us."

"Infinty Castle it is! I'm not in the mood to deal with humans." Douma snapped his fingers amd telepathically sent a message to Nakime, asking her to take him to his Lotus Room. Douma threw the other arm causally around Rui's shoulders, to ensure he would be taken too.

The was a biwa note, and then Douma - and Rui - were in the wood-panelled room with waterways that Douma called his. Rui gasped, running over to the water where the ice-blue lotuses bobbed up and down. 

"They're so pretty!" He exclaimed in wonder, never having seen such flowers before. He leant down, and with a nervous glance at Douma, plucked one from its thin stem. "Sorry for breaking it, but..."

Rui looked at Douma with such large puppy-dog eyes Douma couldn't help but laugh, and he picked one out too. He took the one from Rui's hand and put it in his new brother's hair, doing the same with his own flower.

"Now we match!" Said Douma, the flower's petal's tickling his ear. Rui giggled. It'd never been like this with his old family. 

It had been very sophisticated, no one doing anything unpredictable. It was all fearful silence and awkward conversations. 

Perhaps Rui didn't need to have a big family, just a small one that he could care about.

Douma brought him back to reality by making an ice vein smack him in the head. Rui pouted, not that it had hurt. 

"C'mon otouto! You weren't paying attention to what I was saying!" Laughed Douma, pointing at him with a long finger.

Rui bit it.

Douma yelped in surprise, jerking his finger away from Rui. "Hey!"

Rui smirked. "Nom nom." He said, miming taking another bite. Douma gasped, as if he was offended.

"Meanie!" Grumbled Douma, ruffling Rui's hair. The flower nearly fell out.

Rui leaned into the touch, and curled up next to his new found brother. He wrapped his two arms around the taller one's waist, closing his eyes contentedly.

"You'll protect me, right oni-chan?"

"With my life."