ʕ•̫͡•ʔDouma x Kokushiboʕ•̫͡•ʔ

A/N: requested by @WomanSimps_Simp. I know you said angst to fluff but I cannot write fluff to save my life, so it's just angst, but I'll try to write an Angst-fluff story. Also, next part of Douma reincarnation came out yesterday, if you all wanna read it. This chapter is shorter than Shinobu. Please bear in mind it's told from Douma's POV.

Years ago, I knew a man.

His name was Kokushibo, and he had the most gorgeous eyes that I'd ever seen. His smile was rare but so beautiful, and his laugh was such a silvery sound.

At first I didn't talk much with him. We flitted in and out of each other's lives, seeing each other occasionally at a meeting, or crossing paths on a lonely night.

I'm not sure how it happened, but we started to talk more.

Did it begin when we were assigned a mission together? Had we had conversations before that that I'd forgotten about?

The talking led me to spend time with him, and we developed a fragile friendship. Over the years, our friendship strengthened and turned into something more.

Or rather, it could have.

I knew I loved him. I could tell by the heat that would spread across my body when he spoke in his calm voice, by the way my usually still heart would start to beat whenever he was around.

I wanted to spend the rest of our lives together.

But I was scared. I feared rejection. I waited too long to tell him that I loved him.

Today marks the twelfth anniversary of his death.

I stand in front of his tombstone, a red flower clutched between my shaking hands. I can't stop my eyes, now engraved with the kanji Uppermoon One, from tearing up.

I still remember his ashes slowly drifting to the floor, my whole world falling down with them.

I remember scooping them up, and cradling his clothes. I remember the grief that overcame me when I realised he wasn't coming back.

I buried him. I was alone when I did it.

I was the only one in that cemetery that day. The rain was pouring, hiding the tears on my cheeks.

I left the flower on his gravestone.

We never got to live our life together.

My first friend, and my only love.

I miss you, Kokushibo.