ʕ•̫͡•ʔDoumaʕ•̫͡•ʔ

(A/N: Im feeling pretty down at the moment, so enjoy this sort of vent chapter where I project my problems into fictional characters.)

It was over. The final battle, the last hope of him living. It had slipped through his fingers like water, and all that remained now was the bitter taste of ash in his mouth.

He could feel his body, rapidly disappearing into nothingness. He'd been defeated by some pathetic humans, good for nothing scum that had somehow managed to get the upper hand.

And it hurt. It hurt so much. It was like his bones were breaking and being ground into dust, like his head was having sharp needles driven through it. Douma could barely register sound, movement or anything except that overwhelming pain that had crawled under his skin and burrowed into his flesh.

He was dimly aware of a door opening, footsteps moving towards him. Was it a human again? No, he couldn't hear a heartbeat. It was another demon, probably come to gloat over the fact the great, omnipotent Uppermoon Two had been defeated by grotesque and pitifully weak humans.

He glanced up, his vision blurred with unwept tears. Six eyes looked back down at him, each one narrowed perfectly to portray disgust.

The pain was too much for Douma. Although he was usually a masochist, and delighted in pain and suffering, this... this was just overwhelming. He couldn't take much more of this ruthless, relentless ache in his body, that climbed to reach pure agony. A tear slipped out of his eye, something that happened when he had reached his limits. Douma couldn't stop the tear, which soon multiplied into two tears, then three, then four.

Kokushibo glanced at the demon's face. He smiled for a moment, staring at Douma, almost in a trance as he stared at the blond. It was hard for Douma to breathe, he was so choked up with the pain.

Kokushibo was still smiling.

And then, he reached a hand out to wipe Douma's tears away.

"Why are you crying?" he whispered. And for one stupid moment, one delusional, stupid moment, Douma thought he might actually care, because he can't find a better reason for that smile.

But the smile slid off Kokushibo's face, just as quick as it appeared. The hand in Douma's cheek dug into soft flesh, Douma making a nose of discomfort.

"Why the hell are you crying? You're not allowed to cry," The voice the superior demon was using was still soft, kind even. But the look in his eyes... was anything but. "You've failed. You have no right to tears."

Douma couldn't speak, couldn't move. His voice failed him, and he could only feel aching numbness as he stared into the gaze of the Uppermoon One. He knew what Kokushibo said was true. He was reminded of it by the brutal pain in his decaying body.

He wanted to apologise. Not that he would feel any form of death-bed relief from it, but he just wanted to say sorry for being such a disappointment. That's all he'd ever been. A disappointment; a fake smile and a gaping cavity where a heart should be.

His body was vanishing, his neck quickly becoming cold and breaking down into pieces of charred flesh, which turned to crumpled to ash on the ground. His vocal cords were gone, somewhere among the pile of his deteriorating body. Any words he wanted to say were lost, gone.

He could still feel Kokushibo's piercing gaze as the world faded to black.

(A/N: I know it's short, sorry)