Chapter 9

I just want to say thank you so much, this book as over 100 views and it's only been up since Sunday! 

When I woke it was dark out, I didn't like the dark. At least at the playground there had been lights around, in the alley though the lights didn't touch down here. Deciding I wasn't going to sleep anymore, I gathered the blanket and stuck it back in my bag. Grabbing teddy and throwing the bag over my shoulder I walked away from my box, it was a good box, and I was thankful it protected me with however long I had been able to sleep in it for. Off to find somewhere where I could hide for the day so that no one would find me.

I headed out of the alley way and there was no one around, guess that's how early it was. Deciding I would stay in the shadows so no one would notice me hopefully, I quickly headed down the street trying to avoid the light. I rounded the corner and quickly made it to the next corner, I had a small fright when a shop keeper opened the door to their shop, but I got lucky and they weren't even looking out the door, they seemed to be talking to someone that was still inside, I quickly ran past their door and walked a little faster. I rounded the next corner and found what appeared to be an empty building. I cautiously made my way inside the open-door way; I didn't see anyone around, so I made my way even further into the building. I found some stairs that led up, they didn't seem the safest, but I figured if I wasn't on the first floor it would be harder to find me on the second. I slowly made my way up the stairs, struggling a little while holding teddy and the bag. I had only made it up four steps and suddenly the wood gave way, and my foot went straight though the step, I stuck my arms out hoping to grab onto something before I fell all the way through. My teddy went flying up the stairs, landing on the step closest to the top, well at least teddy would make it. Suddenly my hand made contact with the banister of the stairs, once I took a moment to collect myself and get my heart rate back to normal, I pulled myself up and managed to get my foot freed.

I finally made it to the top of the stairs and grabbed teddy hugging the bear so tightly I'm surprised I didn't break it. I wandered the floor and found a few empty rooms, one of the rooms at the front of the building had an old chair in it and it was right in front of the window, the perfect spot to watch everyone below so no one could sneak up on me. I plopped the bag down at the bottom of the chair and put teddy into the chair then managed to climb up into the chair myself. I must have fallen asleep for a little bit because I woke up later and there were quite a few more people walking down below than before.

When I got tired of sitting in the chair, I climbed out and just walked back and forth in front of the window while I stretched my legs out. I could tell it was getting colder outside by the amount of people that were walking by with coats and mittens on. I don't know what I was going to do when it started to snow, hopefully the building I was in could keep me a little warmer than if I was still sleeping in the box in the alley. Since I was off the chair for now, I dug through the bag and pulled out the blanket and the bottle of water, I put them both on the chair then wiggled my way back up on the chair. I grabbed the blanket and wrapped it around myself and teddy, then grabbed the water bottle and took a small sip I didn't want to drink it all and then have nothing left. I put the cap back on the water bottle, put it down towards the opposite side of the chair then snuggled into the blanket, it was getting colder in the building.

How was I going to stay warm? I knew it was only going to get colder, I knew from past experience that I couldn't go out of this building when it started to snow, I'd have to go out and try to find some more food and water to stock up until the snow melted, maybe I'd be able to find a bigger blanket or a heavy jacket.

Once it started getting a little quieter down on the street, I decided it would be the perfect time to head out and try to find some of the items I'd need, or at least something I could use. I toyed with the idea of emptying out my bag and leaving everything behind, but then was afraid someone else may find the stash of stuff I already had so it was all coming. I climbed down off the chair again and grabbed the blanket and water bottle stuffing them back into the bag. I grabbed teddy from the chair then picked up the bag and put that over my shoulder. Making my way back to the scary stairs, I went as close to the banister as I could and slowly made my way down the stairs. Thankfully my foot didn't go into any of the steps this time and I made it down in one piece.

Walking back out onto the street I shivered, it was certainly getting colder out. I shook my head trying to clear my mind of thinking I was cold and started walking towards a diner that I had noticed when I had first rounded the corner. I figured I would have better luck finding food if I went to the back-alley way and waited for them to open the back door, if they weren't throwing away anything that I could eat, I could sneak into the building and hopefully find something inside. Once I got to the back, I opened up one of the trash cans, but it was filled with bones, the second one was full of the ends of lettuce it looked like, I whimpered I didn't really want to go into the restaurant, but I knew I had to find some food. I waited opposite the trash cans; I didn't have to wait long before someone opened the door I quickly dashed into the doorway and headed under a table that was right beside the door.

I made myself as small as possible while I checked out what was happening around me, I seemed to have managed to duck right into the kitchen and they seemed to be cooking in a frenzy. I watched what was happening for a while and noticed that when food was brought back it seemed to end up off to the side and would eventually end up in the trash can off to the side of the table, hopefully I could swipe the next plate or two that was brought back before they dumped it.

The next plate that came back and they set it off to the side, I looked around and noticed no one on the same side that I was, I dashed out from under the table and grabbed the plate and dashed back to my hidden table spot. I looked at the plate and I couldn't quite tell what it was, but looked like some sort of meat and potato, I dumped the whole plate onto a napkin that was on the top of the plate and tucked it into the front of my bag hopefully it wouldn't ruin the bag. The next plate I saw come back I ran out and grabbed and dropped the old plate where I took the new one from, Once I got back to my hide away, I looked at the plate and smiled, this plate had chicken and fries, I knew I liked that at least. I just dumped the food into the front of the bag because there wasn't another napkin. I put the plate next to me and decided that was enough food, I wasn't used to eating a lot anyways and I still had some of the food from the bag anyways.

Quickly looking around I didn't see anyone that would notice me, so I grabbed my bag and teddy and ran for the door. I was back in the alley way and wasn't quite sure where to head to see if I could find a blanket or coat, so I headed around to the front of the restaurant. I walked a few doors down and then turned back and went the way I came I didn't want to head too far away from my building. As I was turning back around, I quickly ducked down by some stairs there was a couple coming out of the restaurant. The couple stopped to chat for a little bit with another couple that came out right behind them, I wish they would hurry up, it was getting colder out here. As both couples started walking away, I noticed one of them must have taken off their jacket and left it on the side of the stairs. I started wiggling my little body I couldn't believe my luck! I quickly ran and grabbed the jacket and then kept running towards my building, the jacket was huge and kept tripping me up. I managed to stumble my way into my building and made my way carefully up the stairs.  

If anyone has any ideas that they want to see in this book, let me know! I'm still writing chapters, but I know that I'll run out of ideas soon :)