Chapter 1

He looked at the two letters in his hand. He found them among some old scrolls he was sorting through. Right now he doesn't know what to do, should he act on it or not. He had read it numerous times now and yes its legit because the two signatures on it he knows very well, it's that of two people he trust very well. It's two letters of promise made by two sworn sisters who are both gone now. One thing he knows is that this won't probably be easy, he doesn't even know if he wants to try. But he also can't just ignore what's right in front of him. He once again read the letters and sighs as he got up from behind the table, he walks to the door, opened it and told one of the disciples to go call the two elders.

He walked back and brew some more tea. He sat two more sets of tea cups out while waiting, he just hope that he's not making a mistake, but also he can't ignore the stories that he heard.
Gossip maybe forbidden in the Cloud
Recess but it sure isn't at Discussion
Conferences. He heard the stories about the boy and how the Sect Madame is treating him while the Sect
Leader turns a blind eye. He may not have liked his mother much but he can't turn a blind eye to the letters or a child who may probably be abuse.

There's a knock on the door and he called them to enter. He look at the two elders that entered and showed them to take a seat, before he pour tea for them. They drink their tea in silence and when they were finished before anyone could asked why he asked for them. He pushed the letters towards them. Watching them closely, he have to make sure that it was legit before he can take action. The two elders read the letters in silence.
"Is it true, they made this promise in front of the two of you" Lan Qiren asked them.
"Yes they did" Elder Li says.
"Cangse at the time was pregnant with her first pup. As you know they were rogue cultivators and they knew that they wouldn't probably live a long life, so they wanted to make sure that their little one would be taken care of. They weren't comfortable asking Sect Leader Jiang because of the Madame of the sect. You know she never liked Cangse much to put it midly."

" You know that the boy has been a disciple of them for the past two years. He's gona fight us on this, seeing that both Cangse, Changze and Lan Furen is dead. "Lan Qiren said.
" Maybe not"Elder Lan says.
"What do you mean? Lan Qiren asked.
" Your brother was also witness to this, not only us". Elder Li says.
"But he's in seclusion since Lan Furen passed away". Lan Qiren says. Really he don't think that he has the strength to argue or pursued his stubborn brother.

The boys also misses him, he knows. They might not show it but he can see it in their eyes whenever they talked about their father. They haven't seen him in three months. To long if you asked him. Maybe it's time his brother stop mourning and start living again. If he was to take these letters to the Yunmeng Sect Leader, he will need all the help and support. He made a decision right there. He stood up and wave the other two to follow him, the letters tucked in his sleeve. They walked in silence as they make their way towards his brothers cabin.

When they arrive, he knock and wait for permission to enter. When the permission came he opened the door and the three entered. He looked at
his brother before they all exchanged bows and sit down.
"What brings the three of here Qiren".
Qingheng-Jun asked.
"Well I was sorting through some old scrolls when I found these". He took the two letters out and give to his brother, who took it and slowly started to read it. Lan Qiren immediately knew that his brother was aware of the content of the letters, just by the way his eyes grew wide. He waited until he was finished.
Then he asked. "Well what are we going to do. The Yunmeng sect Leader found the boy two years ago. I personally feels that we should honor this promise. From what I heard the boy doesn't have a happy life there. I personally may not have liked his mother for what she did, but I cannot for the love of let her son suffer. We all know that his life will not end well if he stays there. But I also know that the Sect Leader won't let go so easily of the boy. His mother was a disciple of Boashan Sanren and both his parents were strong cultivators. So I'm asking you to end your seclusion because I'm gonna need you on this. Brother don't you think it's time you took up the ropes again, and also your sons needs you. You haven't seen them in the last three months and they are worried about you".Lan Qiren says.

Qingheng-Jun looked at his brother then at the two elders who just nods their heads in agreement. He blew out a breath. Maybe it's time to set foot inside the outside world again. He can see that his brother is doing his best.
Yes its time to pick up the reins again, being a father to his children and a Leader to their sect. "Ohk I will do it. I will come out of seclusion and rejoin the sect as their leader and a father to my sons. We will forfill this promise made between two mothers. I have no problem with that. I know we were in mourning and totally forgot about these letters but that does not mean it can't be for filled even now. Me and my late wife both made a promise to Cangse and Changze that we will keep their child safe and protect him. I may be late but I'll be damn if I let them down. So Qiren write a letter to the sect Leader but do not tell him why we needs an audience with him and his wife. And make it two days from now, the sooner we get this sorted, the beter.
When you leave tell the boys I want to see them please".

The three stood up and nod. One hurdle sorted now for the other. Lan Qiren just hope that there won't be any difficulties regarding the other. As they walk away they breathe a breath of relief, knowing that there sect once again are moving in the right direction. The future maybe unknown but one thing is for sure. The Lans will never back down, nor will they forsake those that needs them, nor will they break promises made even though the ones who made it, are no longer with them. If they have to fight then that's what they will do, for a boy they have never met to give him a brighter future. When Lan Zhan and Lan Xichen walked into their fathers cabin, what greets them were a man in tears and open arms. They both got ingulf in a bear hug. Words of I'm sorry, forgive me, from now on we will be a family again, I'm coming out of seclusion. They could not believe their ears but they both were happy.
They were told that in two days time, they will take a trip to the Yunmeng Sect for some business. If they wondered why none of them asked.
Lan Qiren wrote the letter and send it off. Now all he can do is pray that everything will go well, but I doesn't really count on it. He already can feel a headache coming. He pour himself some tea wishing he could have a cup of Emperors Smile instead. Cangse I may not have forgiven you yet, I know I'm petty but let me be. But I promise I will not let your son down. I will protect him, care for him like my own. By God I just hope he doesn't have your personality but his father's. One Cangse in this life time is enough. Thank you very much.