Chapter 5

As three of them made their way through the cloud Recess all Wei Ying could think of is how serene and peaceful it is. " Wei Ying how do you like the Cloud Recess so far. I know this is just your first day but do you find it to your liking". Xichen asked him. Wei Ying smiled and said. " It's certainly different from the YunmengJiang sect. I mean don't get me wrong I know every sect is different but to tell you the truth. I like it here for some reason I feel at peace. The weight of responsibility doesn't weight so heavy on my shoulders for one". " I'm glad to hear it right Wanji". Lan Zhan just nods his head and Xichen can't help but smile. The rest of the way they walked in silence. When they reach Caiyi Town they wondered from one stall to the next not really buying anything. Wei Ying looked in awe at the vast difference between lotus pier and Caiyi. In lotus pier people would shouting what they are selling here people are more subdued. He saw two bunny fingeries and touch it softly the lady at the stall asked him if he want to buy it and he said no. The two brothers watch him closely seeing the longing in his eyes. When Wei Ying walked to the next stall Lan Zhan walked up to the lady and bought the two bunny fingeries putting it in his sleeve before walking to where his brother are standing. Xichen watch his brother when he walked towards the lady knowing his little brother he smile and walked towards Wei Ying who now was looking at something else at another stall. Lan Zhan soon joins them and the three walked towards an inn. They went inside and was shown towards one of the tables. They sat down put down their order and wait. Lan Zhan took the package out of his sleeve and hold it towards Wei Ying who looked at him confuse.
"For Wei Ying". He said. " You bought something for me. But why?". Wei Ying asked. " Bought it because Wei Ying likes it". Wei Ying opened the package and saw what it was he could not believe his eyes. He looked at Lan Zhan mouth agape. " Lan Zhan thank you. But you shouldn't have". He said.
" Wei Ying don't want it". Lan Zhan asked sadly. " No Lan Zhan I love it. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that".
Wei Ying quickly reassured him. " Wei Ying don't need to be sorry". He said. Xichen watch the whole exchange with a smile and a twinkle in his eye. Their tea and pastries arrived and they enjoyed themselves. Soon they were finished and then started to make their way back to the Cloud Recess.

The moment Qingheng-Jun and Lan Qiren walked into the meeting hall some off the elders were not happy that the sect Leader were out of seclusion. They demanded to know why he has decided to end his seclusion and why was they not informed. He silently listen to them. Really he put himself into seclusion and he can end it whenever he wants.
He puts his hand up to silence them once they were he started to talk.
" Let's make one thing clear. I do not need your permission to end my seclusion. I went into seclusion out of my own will and I can end it as well.
You do not demand answers from me because I do not owe you any answers. I am here now to tell you that my seclusion has ended as of yesterday. You maybe the elders of the sect but you have no right to tell what I can and cannot do. I hope we understand each other ". Some of the elders were not please with the answers and how they were being address. One stood up and said." We have run this sect and made decisions. We have every right to know your reasons".Elder Lan said.
" I don't know who gave you permission or the right to run this sect. You may have steam rolled my brother but you won't do that to me. You are here to guide not to make decisions. Maybe it's time that you as elders start learning your place".The elder sat down not impressed. " My brother hs decided to adopt a ward his name is Wei Ying. He will be part of the inner Lan family which mean he will be part of our family".One elder stood up to say something but Qingheng-Jun didn't give him a chance. " Quite frankly I don't care what you have to say. He will be part of our family and you will except it if not you can go into seclusion for all I care. He is also my youngest son betrothal and I should inform you that he is a beta". He looked at the elders waiting for anyone to say something. Lan Qiren stood there tongue tide. He doesn't know what to say his brother just steamrolled this whole meeting. Another elder stood up and say. " Sect Leader don't you think that we must think of heirs for this sect. You have two sons I know but heirs from both sect heirs isn't it more productive. The boy is a beta. I mean can't we find a suitable omega for the second young master. Someone with his status. Someone with a good background. I mean no disrespect towards the boy but you must understand that the sect must be put first". The elder said before he sits down with a small smirk on his lips.
" Elder Lan how gullible you are. You say you don't mean no disrespect towards Wei Ying and yet you disrespect him in the same breath". The elders face change ash white. " What makes you think that you know what's best for my sons. A good background good social standing. It seems that the Lan Sect are more concerned about how they look to the outside world. My sons will marry the one they love. Even if that person is a beta. So elder Lan you leave me no other way but to put you in meditative seclusion for five years to reflect on your words today". " You can't do that. I only have the sects interest at heart". The man said. "Maybe next time you will think before you speak. I will not allow anyone to disrespect Wei Ying in anyway. You treat him the same as you treat my own sons if not believe seclusion won't be where you end up. I will personally escorts you out of this sect. Elder Lan you can decide where
you wana spend your seclusion but I want you in it within the next half hour". He walked out without another word Lan Qiren stil in a state of shock follows him.

The elders was not happy at all. Some who agree with the sect Leader left the hall just after said sect Leader. Those who feel that they were being treated unfairly raised their grievances towards each other. He can't do this to us. Where was he when we run this sect. Why didn't Lan Qiren say something in our defense.

When the three young man came back they walked towards the Jingshi. Wei Ying was invited by Xichen to come spend the rest of the day with them. They need to know each other. One thing Xichen pick up on is that Wei Ying doesn't comment on anybody smell. They themselves knows how to control their scents but they were in town and not once did he say anything. The moment they sat at the low table he let his scent out not to much just enough for Wei Ying to smell. His brother look at him very displeased but he doesn't care. He will explain to him later. He watch Wei Ying who just sit there playing with his two bunnies. He slowly pull his scent back and asked. " Wei Ying can I asked you something. You don't have to answer if you don't want to I will understand". "What is it Xichen". Wei Ying asked. " Did you ever smell somebody's scent". Wei Ying dip his head to the side and touch his nose with his finger. " Not that I know of. I don't think anyone ever let it out for me to smell. To be honest I don't think I have ever smell anyone's scent. I mean I'm a beta so yeah". He said with a shrug of his shoulders. The two brothers looked at each other wanji understanding why his brother let his scent out. Wei Ying look between them and asked. " Am I suppose to be able to smell someone's scent". He asked confuse now. " Wei Ying even if you are a beta you're supposed to smell a scent any scent". Lan Zhan answered. "Oh". Wei Ying said. " I have excepted my fate a long time ago. I excepted who I am. Maybe I'm just a normal human who knows. I was just told that I'm a beta and I excepted it. I figure as long as I'm not a omega or alpha then I will fine and left alone. She won't marry me off to some old alpha man atleast". Wei Ying said. Their hearts break for this boy in front of them. They realise how lucky they are to have had their uncle. He had nobody. He was alone. Never really part of a family. " Wei Ying even if Wei Ying is a normal human being. Wei Ying is still special". Lan Zhan said with so much care in his voice. Wei Ying smile a genuine smile. "Ah thanks Lan Zhan". "No need to thank me. I meant what I said". Lan Zhan said.

Not long there was a soft knock on the door. Lan Zhan stood up and opened the door there stood his father and uncle. He stood aside and let them in. Xichen started to brew tea for them.
" We informed the elders about Wei Ying. Everything went quite well. Wei Ying in two days time you will become officially Qiren's ward and then your name will be add too the Lan registry". Qingheng-Jun told Wei Ying. Wei Ying looked wide eyed to them. He will have a family. He will belong somewhere. " Wei Ying it's your choice and I won't force you. You can choose if you want to keep your surname or change it to Lan. Like I said it's all up to you". Lan Qiren said to him. Wei Ying is so overwhelmed that he didn't know what to say. Tears stream down his face. The four Lans don't know what to do. Wei Ying stood up and throw his arms around the elder Lans and say over and over thank you to the two men. When he finally step away he wipe away the tears from his face and look at Lan Qiren. " It will be my honor to take the Lan surname shufu". And he hug Lan Qiren again before sitting down and took his cup of tea and drink it.
They drank in silence when Wei Ying asked Lan Zhan. " Hey Lan Zhan what does your scent smell like". Lan Zhan could feel his ears getting warm why he do not know. He looked at his uncle, father and brother who is of no help because they found this amusing and Wei Ying is still waiting for him to answer. " Brother said it smell like sandalwood". He finally said. " It must then smell very good. I wish I could smell it. Your scent I mean". Wei Ying said while looking at Lan Zhan with a smile on his face. Lan Qiren and his brother is confused. They looked at Xichen who explain to them what they discovered and what Wei Ying told them. If there is one thing he knows is that some are born with their second nature and some bloom when they are older. If Wei Ying is a late bloomer then it explain everything. Why the Jiangs thought he was a beta. But even if Wei Ying should present as a beta he will still be family and if he and A-Zhan falls inlove and decides to get married he will stand behind them and he knows his brother will as well.