Chapter 4

It's was decided that Wei Ying would sleep in Lan Qiren residence until he comes of age and would receive his own residence. The moment they entered the Lanshi Lan Qiren went to sit at the low table. He put on some water to brew tea before they go to bed. Another cot has already been brought in by the disciples. Wei Ying was standing in the middle of room not sure if he should join the man or wait until he got permission.
Lan Qiren finally looked up seeing the boy still standing. Looking closely he could see how nervous he was. Biting his bottom lip and fidgeting with his fingers. He knows he must look scary to the boy and quite frankly he isn't good with children. He's a very straightforward person but he knows if he wants to gain the boys trust he needs to try and talk to the boy.

So he call his name and when the boy looked up he motion to him to take a seat. He pour tea for the both of them and they drank it silence once done he put the teapot and cups away.
"Wei Ying I know we don't know each other and you have no reason to trust me but I hope that in time you will. First I want to say that I'm sorry but I didn't know about the letters. As soon as I found it I went to my brother. Please forgive this one because of me you had to endure so much. I don't know what you went through exactly but by observing you it mustn't been anything good. No that you are safe here. We won't force you to do anything that you don't want you so you don't have to be afraid". Lan Qiren said to him. Wei Ying looked at him with big eyes. " Master Lan thank you for saying that but it was not your fault you didn't know and I can't hold that against you. Someone once also promised me a home. Promised me that I would be safe, that I would have a family a home. That person broke that promise. I was never safe nor did I feel safe. I found out the hard way that place was never my home and was told that they were not my family. I was never treated as such. So forgive this one if he is sceptical.
I am however willing to give you all a chance. You are willing to honor a promise made so long ago and that tells me that you are honorable people. So I hope that you will give  this one time". Wei Ying said and looks at Lan Qiren nervously.

" Wei Ying you can take however much time you need. But just know that if ever you need us we will be there for you no matter what. You know I knew your parents. I don't know if Jiang Fengmian ever told you about them. We were not close but your mother was a free spirit. She blew into the Cultivation world like tornado unrestrained. She could've chosen anyone of us I mean there wasn't a shortage of suitors but she chose your father. A quiet man. That must say something about his character because she didn't care that he was not someone of importance. Many said he was a servant but I remember that he was the sect leaders righthand man. They were righteous. Even though she did cut off my beard and until this day I haven't forgiven her yet,petty of me I know". Wei Ying listen with eyes glistening with tears because no one as ever talked or told him anything about his parents. The only memory he had of them is his mother riding on a donkey while his father carried him on his shoulders and they were laughing. " Thank you for telling me about my parents. At least now I know something more of them".
" Didn't sect Leader told you about them". " No it was forbidden to ever talked or mentioned my parents names". Lan Qiren could not believe his ears. How can you deny a child to want to know more about his parents after losing them so early in his life.Really sect Leader Jiang should be ashamed of himself. The boys father was his friend how could you not share stories with the boy about his father.
He has an idea who forbid the mention of his parent. How could you be jealous and hateful even after so long. Cangse wasn't even interested in the sect Leader actually she wasn't interested in any one of them.

" Wei Ying believe me when I say that you parents are resting more peacefully now. I hope you will give us a chance to prove to you that we are sincere." " I will try my best. You said my mother saved your beard. Why would she do that though". For the first time since they brought Wei Ying Lan Qiren saw something he wished he would never see again since Cangse. Mischief. Why did he had to tell that to the boy. He unconsciously touch his beard and stroke it. Wei Ying for the first time in years started to laugh not a belly aching laugh but still he laughed and it felt good. Lan Qiren looked at him in total shocked. The boy did not smiled once or even a hint of it and now his laughing. " Wei Ying we should get ready for bed. I asked one of the disciples to bring in a extra cot so come let me show you where you will sleep". "Okay master Lan. Thank you. Just curious what time you do wake up in the morning". " We wake up at five in the morning". " Ah really". Wei Ying asked knowing full well he won't be able to. He asked to be saved and he was
and the gods just had to throw a curveball. Lan Qiren showed him where he would be sleeping. There was a screen divider which Wei Ying was thankful for he don't want the man to see his back. He went to his side and undress and putting his sleeping wear on. " Good night Master Lan". " Good night Wei Ying".