Prologue

Status. Fame. Power.

Few of the many things people of the high social class posses. While the wealthy elite stand at the top, the people down below will be used to make them richer. It's because of this that the definition of 'equality' changes overtime. How can anyone say society is 'equal' when they are oblivious to the fact that, upon birth, people are destined different paths. Everyone has separate traits that set them apart from the others.

For instance, people can be born rich while, some others, are born in poverty. I, myself, am of the latter. My family isn't necessarily well-off. I mean, I don't particularly say I hate that, not in the slightest. But it's just, in my honest opinion, families can be disconnected from one another because of this very thing. I'm not naïve enough to say that everyone is, what some say we are, equal and I'm even sure, somewhere out there, there is someone thinking the very same thing I am.

But anyways, my dad had abandoned me, my mother, and my sister. For the years to come, my poor mother had to support my family. I had to do the same. It was especially hard work but, anything for family. It's the only special thing we have, after all.

Now as the matter of myself as an individual, would people say I'm special? My classmates seem to think so, but the answer is no. If I had to respond to the answer of specialty, then I will have to say I'm probably the least privileged person. It was through my sheer sweat and tears that I got to the point I am now. By the time I was in the third year of middle school, I worked my way into the Student Council and eventually, I became President. It was also during my third year of the middle school that I made a mistake.. Something I can't ever hope to forgive myself for.

The pity, the rumors, everything. All of it. It was centered around this mistake. When I heard news got out, my mother was ashamed of me, I couldn't bare to face her then. At the very least, I got to see my sister happy this one time and that's something I will never regret.

During my absences, I was inevitably removed from my position as Student Council President. All my friends tried to call me and my texts would flood in with tons and tons of messages. Of course, I ended up ignoring them all. The the only thing that kept me ever feeling safe was the comforts of my bedroom. I didn't want to leave it, not anymore. I ended up throwing away my entire student life.

It wasn't until a small sliver of hope reached my door steps.

My teacher, informed me about a special school, far from my hometown. It's nothing like anything people see in your typical high school but, it was the one place I could hope to feel normal again. I could finally have my life back and more importantly, when I heard about the perks for graduating from there, the only thing on my mind was to see my family happy again.

In short, I chose to attend.

Although I found myself somewhat hesitant, when I stood at the stone steps at the entrance of the Advanced Nurturing High School, I was ecstatic. I only hoped to peacefully enjoy my next three years. Then when I go through college, get a job, my mother and sister can be proud of me again.

But still, despite all that, despite my hard work in my middle school life. I can't help but feel empty. There's one thing I haven't felt, one thing that I probably wont understand any time soon.

That feeling is love.

-

Originally published May 12, 2023. Rewritten in June 30th, 2023.