Chapter XXVI - Till Death Do Us Part

Ice cream.

After school had finished earlier today, it was the only thing I had on my mind at the moment. You see, back before the situation with Ichinose was resolved, I was at a convenience store and that was when my eyes landed on the frozen cooler at the back of the store. Through the chilled glass, I saw the vanilla soft served ice cream. Even though I was there at the store for other reasons, I was curious about how this delicacy would taste. Along with the items I originally intended to purchase, I also bought the ice cream.

This brings us to the present day, since everything with Ichinose was settled, I made my way back to the dormitories after school. Once I got there, I quickly entered my room and started changing into a more fitting attire as I reached into my fridge, finding myself carefully unwrapping the cone from its paperboard packaging. In my hand, there was the soft, creamy swirl of vanilla ice cream, nestled in a perfectly swirled cone that hinted at its delightful contents. The coolness of the ice cream contrasted with the warmth of the afternoon sun that streamed through my window.

With anticipation within me, I took my first bite. The experience was unlike anything I'd encountered before as it was my first time. The soft ice cream melted instantly on my tongue, releasing a burst of rich, velvety vanilla flavor that laid inside my mouth. The sweetness was perfectly balanced, not overwhelming but enough to satisfy my cravings.

As I was about to take another bite, I heard several knocks appear at my door. I didn't know who it was nor did I care to find out who at the moment, my only focus was on the treat in front of me. I wish I could say the knocking would stop but it didn't so I chose to answer it instead. Rewrapping the ice cream slightly, I left it in my fridge and opened my door.

Beyond this door was Ichinose Honami, the aforementioned student who's several problems were figured out. I didn't know why she was here but from the look on her face, it was important. Important enough to interrupt me as I was in the middle of something.

"Hey!" she said aloud as she waived her hand in the air.

"What in the world is the matter, Ichinose?"

Whatever it was, I expected her to say something perhaps school related or having to do something with other students of Class-C but it was neither. Instead, she looked me firmly in the eyes as Ichinose let out words I hadn't thought she would ever say again. Even though I've heard it come from her before back when she was sick, I didn't really believe it at first.

"I'm in love with you."

- XXVI.I -

"Do you want anything to drink?"

Sitting atop Ayanokouji-kun's bed, I was staring at the wooden floor below me. What was I thinking when I said that to him? I mean, I know I wanted to say it but not like this! Given everything that's happened, I don't think it was the right time for me to say that. After my unexpected confession of love, Ayanokouji-kun had invited me into his room and closed the door. It was a good idea as this was something I didn't want anyone to hear.

"W-what?" I asked.

"Do you want anything to drink?"

"U-um, do y-you have hot chocolate?"

Without replying, Ayanokouji-kun simply nodded his head and reached into the cupboards and started making the cocoa I requested. This gives me time to think, I have no idea what he'll say to me but I'm sure this situation must be uncomfortable for him, not just me. As he prepared the hot chocolate, the silence in the room felt suffocating, my confession replayed in my head over and over again. I still didn't know why I said it so suddenly, I was never upfront with my feelings to begin with but now, it's just taking over my thoughts.