Chapter XXII - The Greatest Battles Are Often Fought Within Oneself

It has been two days since the special exam on the island. So far, nothing unusual has occurred other than the occasional bickering between other classes but, there has been one change. That change is the fact that people are starting to become more wary of Class-D, more specifically those people being the ones at the helm of the ships. Ryuuen, of which, has already launched an investigation on the supposed mastermind behind the Class-D's recent success. This became apparent to me when I noticed people from Class-C stalking not just me, but everyone else in my class. Of course, they didn't get anywhere.

Apart from that, there was also my talk with Ichinose a while back. From my understanding, she's since changed from the person she was originally at the start of school, they had since change their ever so hopeful ideals.

In any case, with that aside, we return to present with me currently indulging myself in my free time. Inside my room, I lay atop my bed with no plans in particular. Then there was the people I was staying with, Miyake Akito, Kouenji Rokusuke, and Hirata Yousuke. Both Miyake and Kouenji went off on their own while Hirata, he stayed in the room, same as me, silently doing his own thing. Whether or not we talked to each other will solely depend on Hirata as I have nothing to talk about myself.

Anyhow, a few hours passed and to kill time, I scrolling idly through my own watching videos online. Though the school had certain restrictions that prevented me from commenting and such, there was no filter on.. questionable content. If there was, then it was a weak filter at that. As I was doing so, I felt a gaze come upon me, that gaze, of course, belonged to Hirata. For whatever reason he has for staring at me is unknown and I wouldn't call him out on it. As I said before, there will be no conversation unless he instigates it first.

Waiting a few more minutes, Hirata spoke to me.

"Hey, Ayanokouji-kun, you're not doing anything later today, are you?"

If I responded to him honestly, then there's an eighty percent chance that he would invite me to something. If I lied, then that is the end of the story. However if I did lie, there's also the chance that if he found out in some way and will be hurt by my answer. Therefore, the most optimal solution is to decline any invitation after answering truthfully, but then again, I learned that even if I did decline, there's a strong possibility that I might be forced to reconsider my choice until I agree.

"No, I don't have anything to do," I told him.

"I see, then how about we have lunch? There's a café in the atrium."

"Would it be alright if I declined?"

"If you don't want to, I wont force you, but, can I ask why?"

"Ah, I guess I wont fit in is all."

"Oh, you're concerned about other people joining us."

That was one of the reasons. You see, not too long ago, there was a change in relationships between two people in Class-1-D. Both Hirata and Karuizawa was confirmed to be in a romantic relationship, just a day after the special exam ended. The details of which are still not clear to me but, if they are in a relationship, then I wouldn't be surprised if Karuizawa will be joining us. Of course, that's not the main problem but rather, the problem is that I don't really feel like leaving the bed at this point in time.

"If that's the case then you won't have to worry, it'll be just us," he smiled.

Getting up from my laying position, I stared at Hirata silently. It wasn't before long that as I was about to respond, an announcement played on the intercom.

Attention all students. A special event will be taking place on the fifth floor. This is optional and people may participate freely. For further information, please review the details that will be sent to your mobile devices shortly.