Chapter VIII - The Roots Of Education Are Bitter, But The Fruit Is Sweet

When Ichinose soon departed, I waited inside the lobby. During our entire walk back, I noticed a peculiar figure shadowing us. I couldn't tell who it was because I don't have eyes on the back of my head or anything but still, I noticed their presence.

I hanged back and sat down on one of the many couches and waited. For about three minutes I waited a little more and soon thereafter, Horikita, the younger Horikita I should say, entered through the automatic sliding doors. Perhaps they weren't expected to still see me here but when they did, they looked stunned.

No doubt about it, they're probably the one tailing me and Ichinose earlier.

"Can I help you?" I called out to Horikita, getting up from the couch.

"I suppose there's no point in beating around the bush, then. I'll give it to you straight. Do you intend on speaking to anyone about anything that occurred between me and my brother from before?"

"I thought that was all in the past. Nothing has happened up to this point so why bother?"

"I would like an answer regardless," Horikita responded.

She had plenty of time to ask me before but since I was so busy for a while, she might've not have had the opportunity to do so.

"Not really."

"I'm not convinced."

"Do I look like I have the slightest intention of doing so?"

"You don't however, there has to have been something going on for my brother to have such a keen interest in you."

I see, so that's what she was really after. I guess it was all an illusion then. She must've understood by now I'm not exactly the type to gossip about certain things that I don't need to speak about. What she has been after all along was why Horikita Manabu was so concerned with first year student Ayanokouji Kiyotaka.

"I don't have the slightest idea. Maybe you should go ask him," I said.

"Goodness me, you don't like to give a straight answer, do you?"

"Nope, but since you're here.."

I moved up closer against Horikita's ear and whispered something to her. Despite their dysfunctional brother-sister relationship, she is stubborn and hellbent on talking with him no matter what. Since I had intruded on their previous meeting, she was unable to properly communicate with her brother.

But that can all wait, there's something I absolutely need from her starting now.

If the way this school operates is how President Horikita had made it out to be, then valuable assets are necessary. Brokering a simple deal with Horkita Suzune could work to my advantage in the future but for now, I'll have to wait. All I need is her cooperation from this point forward.

"Assistance? I'm sorry, but I must've misheard you," said Horkita.

"Then I'll repeat, I want your collaboration for a while. In exchange, I'll see what I could do with your brother since you want to talk to him so badly."

"Define 'a while' firstly."

"Next two months then, happy? It's probably nothing but I just have a few concerns about this school that I want to be prepared for."

"This is sounding rather shady."

"You're smart, take a guess on what I might need."

"No, there's no point. But if you need me to help you then I want something else in return."

"Something else?"

"Yes, a favor. I have plenty of other chances to speak with my brother anyways. Besides, I've already learned that if I inhibit him any longer then I'll end up being a nuisance more often."