Chapter XVI - The Best Way To Predict The Future Is To Create It

Ayanokouji-kun's question caught me off guard, his sharp gaze pierced through me as I struggled to gather my thoughts. Starring deeply into his eyes, I'm unable to get my words out as we stood in silence. From the way he looked at me, it made my heart skip a beat and I could feel my face turn red in the process. It was not until a few more seconds passed, I was able to respond again.

"I-I mean... Well, I.. um..." I stammered, feeling flushed and embarrassed by his question, I find myself helpless as I try to find the right words to say.

Ayanokouji-kun starred down at me, his expression as calm and serene as all always. I could never tell what he's thinking, and that, that made me even more nervous.

"I guess.. I might be a little conscious of you," I said meekly.

"I see."

This happened just when I was beginning to believe that we were getting along well again. I believed that everything could return to normal, and indeed it did, but as Ayanokouji-kun's hands lightly touched mine, something else overcame me, and I retreated. Kneeling down, Ayanokouji-kun inspected the box that I had dropped and picked it up. He must be feeling very uncomfortable with me by this point, I mean how could he not be? I just admitted to the fact that I've purposely been alert about his presence for a while now.

"It's a shame that this cake was ruined, huh," Ayanokouji-kun said.

"Y-yeah, we'll have to throw it away."

The cake itself is still inside the box, it's contents haven't spilled out onto the outside but I still can't say for certain that it's safe to eat. Further more, it might not be appealing to anyone anymore now that it's been destroyed. Throwing it away might be the best option, everyone will probably be disappointed though and I might have to compensate whoever paid for it.

"So what do you want to do now?"

"I, um, I'll just tell Mako-chan I dropped it on accident."

With that, Ayanokouji-kun nodded and threw the box away in a nearby bin. As for me, I pulled out my phone and texted Mako-chan what had happened. Of course, I left out the much needed details such as how I dropped the cake and all that. If I did tell her, she wouldn't let me hear the end of it.

In any case, once Ayanokouji-kun threw it away, he walked back up to me.

"I think I'm going to go now."

"You're not going to come back to the party?"

"Nah, it's not for me."

Ayanokouji-kun could have have stayed the entire party, but given what happened, it was probably the best idea. Especially since he's understood that I'm hyperaware of him, too, and that if I continue to be, it will be uncomfortable for not only him, but for me also. Whether or not we'll be able to go back to the way things use to be will have to wait until tomorrow.

But still, I couldn't help but wonder, what does he think of me? Am I someone who he also feels conscious about?

When I was in the middle of thinking such things, Ayanokouji-kun suddenly did something I had never expected him to do. He pushed me up against the wall with his hand pressed against it. His actions spoke volumes, and my heart raced with both anxiety and shock. I made an effort to remain calm, but that sense of anticipation just wouldn't go away. I nervously swallowed as a wave of conflicting feelings rushed through my body and wouldn't pass.

"Wh-"

Trying to get my words out, Ayanokouji-kun quickly shut me up by placing his free hand on my mouth. Turning his head slightly to left, I followed where is eyes went and saw two figures coming close to us.