Chapter IV - Friendship Is A Single Soul Dwelling In Two Bodies

Shortly after I finished talking to Ayanokouji-kun back at the school courtyard, I received an email from the Student Council through my phone. My heart raced as I knew what this email was about so I just couldn't bring myself to open it.

After 4 or so minutes of panicking internally, my anxiety subsided and I finally worked up the courage to open it.

TO: Ichinose Honami

FROM: Horikita Manabu

After careful consideration, we members of the Student Council have elected to reject your entry.

Though we found no issues with your application, we have judged your character to be unfit to join the council during the interview process. Despite past experiences or any sort of special talents you may hold, we as a whole decided that certain requirements must be met for acceptance. Understand that this is not a negative evaluation of your abilities or potential.

Of course, you will be free to ask any questions in regard to your denial however, refrain from touching on any subject that correlates with the Student Council's entry requirements and such.

Thank you.

When I read the email in it's entirety, I couldn't take my eyes of it and kept rereading it six more times until something finally clicked in my head. I must admit, I am disappointed but if the Student Council doesn't find me good enough, then so be it.

After getting the disheartening rejection letter, I decided to head to Keyaki Mall to take my mind of things since there's a lot going on this month. There's the struggle of getting everyone in our class to join the study groups, the fact that we're currently being targeted by Ryuuen-kun, and the fear of expulsion.

I'm also curious about Ayanokouji-kun too. Earlier in the library, he managed to solve equations the second I ask him to. It's pretty weird, when Chabashira-sensei posted everyone's scores on the board, Ayanokouji-kun was close to the bottom at a score of 53, I don't buy his excuse either. He tells me that he just needed to adjust to the norms that the exams had but he's lying, no one ever says something like that.

As I was walking while thinking about Ayanokouji-kun, I bumped into Nagumo Miyabi-senpai, who was the Student Council Vice President. Though I've only seen him during the interview process, we never really interacted as he was simply observing while Horikita-senpai asked me questions.

"Ah, good evening, Nagumo-senpai," I greeted.

"Ichinose, perfect timing. I've been meaning to speak with you."

Speak with me? If I had to assume, then Nagumo-senpai might've wanted to talk about my rejected application to the Student Council.

"Is there something I can help you with, senpai?"

"Yes, what exactly did the President have to say? I've only got word you were rejected but nothing more."

"Oh, um, he told me that I'm not fit to join the Student Council because of something during the interview.."

"In that case, would you say you're still interested in joining?"

I was confused by what Nagumo-senpai had meant, I mean, I can't say I don't want to join anymore but I was rejected. That can't be undone, right?

"Well, of course, but I got denied."

"That's true, but the way I see it, your denial was unjust. I've read through your history, you were Student Council President back in your third year of middle school, that's more than enough qualifications in my eyes."

"I appreciate the compliments, Nagumo-senpai, but that doesn't change the fact that I was rejected."

"You would like for me to tell you why you got rejected, then?"